got ethical husbandry?

[Oct 19, 2019] Regional Frag Swap (San Francisco)

If the container is clear but the lid is not is that ok?
I know I wouldn’t be picking a coral with a dark lid that you can’t see through. I just bought some deli cups with lids and will be bringing the extras incase anyone needs to swap out for an appropriate container.

Don't forget to plan for the swap people. Now hopefully your frags have been made already, and I know there's always the fresh cut vs precut argument and I'll leave it at that. But don't forget to have extra salt water made up to replace water you're putting into containers if you're doing more than a few corals (or have a nano tank). Also be prepared for treating corals you bring back from the swap. Bayer Insecticide dip is my go-to for killing off anything hitch hiking here's a link to the instructions

For those who can't be bothered with clicking a link, here's the verbose version ;)
In general you'll want to have 3 containers to deal with dipping corals, and I do this regardless of the dip involved. Also make sure you wear gloves and protect your eyes, this is quite literally poison you're dealing with.

Mix up your dip at about a 25:1 ratio of salt water to bayer dip, this comes out to about 10mL per cup (8 oz) of water, while going above or below by a little isn't super critical to the coral you're not going to eyeball 10mL so use a syringe, I'd much rather eye ball 8 oz of water than 10mL if I had to, if you manage to nab one of the deli containers those are 16oz.

Put your corals in for 10-15 minutes, LPS and softies I tend to do a little bit on the lower side but plenty have said corals do fine the "pissed off" period might just be a bit longer. During this time swish your corals around, use a turkey baster or something to get water movement to shake off any critters, if you did the proper ratio the water probably will be too milky white to see anything, so don't wait to see critters falling off assume they are as you swish/baste.

After the time move them to a new container with salt water, continue the shake and swish treatment to remove any residual coral dip and any buggers that and hanging on for deal life.

Then the final rinse container for a recovery rinse for 15+ minutes to make sure no dip is left on the corals, you really don't want to get it in your tank, this step should not be skipped. If your one of those who don't pop off frag plugs you may want to go for an even longer rinse time if the frag plug is more of a porous nature i.e. textured/rough aragonate versus smooth ceramic. Although do note that those flat ceramic square plugs often are hollow inside which can possibly keep some of the dip in there so just be careful before putting back into your tank.

Parking/DO NOT PARK IN BUS STOP
Hey all, first and foremost we are super excited to host the swap today and can't wait to see what everyone brings out! There is a bus stop directly in front of the Taproom and the buses ticket via camera if you are parked in the bus stop. I would strongly recommend not even parking there for a minute to unload as the tickets are hefty.

It is street parking only in the neighborhood and mostly metered/one hour spots, but all of BRYANT STREET is unmetered without a time limit and there are several blocks between Bryant and Potrero on 26th Street that are non-metered/non-two hour. One hour parking spots are fairly easy to find and honestly none of us have ever been ticketed even when parking in these spots for three+ hours, but please do so at your own risk.

I will make some coffee for the volunteers at 10 but if anyone wants anything special I'd recommend checking out Dynamo Donut & Coffee down the block, they have really good donuts and coffee (per the name!).

We'll have brunch/lunch available for purchase at the taproom starting at 11 as well as beer/micheladas/brunch alcoholic beverages for anyone who wants to partake as well as several non-alcoholic options for the kids/non-drinkers.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

FYI, the 1 hour/2 hour spots are only enforced Mon-Fri so should be good. That said I didn't see EVERY sign on the block, and if you've ever gotten a ticket in SF it pays to pay attention to the parking signs. I also wouldn't double park as well, as Tim said we have buses that can issue citations for parking violations.

Reactions: JVU
Reminder everyone to dip your new coral. We included in the party favor container some Bayer dip (the opaque white liquid) with a link to a dipping recipe. Big thanks to @sfsuphysics and @glee for putting the gifts together.

Trying to promote good husbandry and limit the spread of F-STD’s (Frag-Swap Transmitted Diseases).

Last edited:
Also a reminder to our guest members that if you’d like to participate in the next swap, the Supporting members’ swap, you are supposed to upgrade to Supporting member by today.

Since we didn’t announce this at the swap today we’ll have a short grace period, but if you’re going to sign up you may as well do it now. Plenty of other benefits to full membership including monthly events, behind-the-scenes tours, access to borrowing club equipment and buy/sell/free forums.

Fun swap! Thanks to Seven Stills, the club organizers, and members who brought corals. The goodie tub o' frag supplies was brilliant! Got my frags dipped and into quarantine tank that is currently doubling as overflow frag tank. Pleased with the frags I picked up today, mostly chalice and monti we do not have!
IMG_5883.jpg

Back