Cali Kid Corals

Generators ( which one to buy )

My gut feeling is this is how things are gonna be from here on out. Having said that Im not really sure which generator to get. Just powering the tank would not be enough. Id like to power at least the fridge. Candles can light the house. I know some of you bought generators so please chime in

This is the one that I got

Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start

Good things
- It's pretty quiet for a generator (one neighbor didn't wake up when I started it and slept through the night, the other didn't even know I had a generator going)
- it's dual fuel capable, a 20lb tank of propane lasted me 14 hours (granted I did transfer some load to solar when the sun came out)
- it's an inverter, so power is clean and everything I tested with it worked fine
- I have 4 tanks, one fridge/freezer, and another freezer running off it and it's running like a champ. This was running everything except the lights. I did lower heater temps by 2F. Also, I don't know if I could expect the same ability to run all the tanks with all the gadgets in the winter.

Minor bad things:
- wished it had a load (watt or amp) meter
- wished it had run timer so you could log the number of hours between oil changes
- it's pricey

Haven't bought one yet, but here's what my research has told me

Definitely want a dual fuel one, because using gasoline should be the last option, and storing a propane tank is so much safer/better as the fuel doesn't degrade if you don't use it. That said if "PSPE-BS" blackouts occur with more frequency maybe fuel type is a non factor. But propane is cleaner burning and smells less, possibly being even quieter. But dual fuel cost more.

A very nice "upgrade" is an inverter generator. Standard generators have to run at 3000RPMs in order to make a 60Hz sine wave. Inverter generators don't have to run at any speed, they create DC power which gets converted to clean 60hz AC for your house. This may be safer for certain equipment, if there's a "hiccup" in the std. genny it may affect how AC pumps work, other things like DC powered objects and heaters though don't have any issues. Inverter generators also can be run at lower speed based on load, so hence can be quieter. While a Std genny won't use as much fuel with a lower load the engine still needs to be run at 3000RPM which could be loud. But the inverter option cost more money too :)

This is the one that I got

Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start

Good things
- It's pretty quiet for a generator (one neighbor didn't wake up when I started it and slept through the night, the other didn't even know I had a generator going)
- it's dual fuel capable, a 20lb tank of propane lasted me 14 hours (granted I did transfer some load to solar when the sun came out)
- it's an inverter, so power is clean and everything I tested with it worked fine
- I have 4 tanks, one fridge/freezer, and another freezer running off it and it's running like a champ. This was running everything except the lights. I did lower heater temps by 2F. Also, I don't know if I could expect the same ability to run all the tanks with all the gadgets in the winter.

Minor bad things:
- wished it had a load (watt or amp) meter
- wished it had run timer so you could log the number of hours between oil changes
- it's pricey

I read somewhere that at an equal load, this one is quieter than the Honda eu2000i that everyone loves.

I read somewhere that at an equal load, this one is quieter than the Honda eu2000i that everyone loves.

The Champion has an "Eco Mode" you can turn on so if it detects a lower power load, it'll throttle the engine back and be quite a bit quieter and save some fuel. I've never heard the Honda eu2000i so I couldn't comment on the noise comparison.

Wouldn’t buy anything but Honda eu2200 or eu2000. Very reliable and light. Your neighbor would love you too because it’s not that noisy, especially eu2000

I have a Honda 2000, it has served me well over the years. It used to be my camping generator, but has now turned into my reef saver during blackouts. I had it ready to go with 20 gallons of gas on stand by. Thankfully, my neighborhood never got shut down.
I use the Honda to power 2 reef tanks and my fridge ( to keep the beer cold) while i cuss out pg&E

If they make generators that can run from propane tanks, do they make something that can convert your existing natural gas to electric if needed?

If they make generators that can run from propane tanks, do they make something that can convert your existing natural gas to electric if needed?
I'm pretty sure those are the most common actually for "whole home backup" but, are not legal in CA (because of earthquakes I assume).

If it runs on propane it can run on natural gas, just needs an adapter that basically changes the size of the hole the gas is squirting through.

Not sure about then legality aspect of it though as Evan mentions. But portable generators are meant to be temporary power sources

I have and recommend the Yamaha Ef2400is it is an inverter generator and also has a 12v charge port to charge batteries. You can get 2 and use a parallel cable to double power output. Pretty much same as the Honda eu2000 but with a bit more power.
I have had it over 6 years now and always starts on 1-2 pulls. Cost new is about $1400 and I just saw one used on CL for $700. I would also suggest a battery back up system, powering an inverter for a no gas option.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back