Our mission

GHL ion director

The Ion director just announced with nice pre order discount. Am placing an order now, delievery march which sucks, but, so far GHL products quality been impressive so am looking forward to see the director on hand...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not bad, in line with Triton level of pricing for the device. Although the pricing confuses me the "Single device" is ~$550 (undiscounted), but the "Standalone set" is ~$990, and the "Slave set" is ~$940. But have no idea what each actually is, I assume one also has the KH director added in, but no information as to which ones.

Also any word on the longitivity of the ion probe? at ~$140 a shot that thing better last a while.

That said, those prices include that VAT pricing that Europe has to punish consumerism, so who knows may be a bit cheaper in the US. However without knowing a lot of specifics, I'm not willing to be a beta tester for any company if I have to pay for the product. Unfortunately I'm not a "player" in the hobby who gets units for free to beta test either, so yeah... I can happily wait to see what's best for me at the end of the day, and am willing to pay a little bit more to have some piece of mind. Just hope we don't see what we did with the Triton and some rather "unscrupulous" individuals helping create a shortage by becoming second hand resellers.

Not bad, in line with Triton level of pricing for the device. Although the pricing confuses me the "Single device" is ~$550 (undiscounted), but the "Standalone set" is ~$990, and the "Slave set" is ~$940. But have no idea what each actually is, I assume one also has the KH director added in, but no information as to which ones.

Also any word on the longitivity of the ion probe? at ~$140 a shot that thing better last a while.

That said, those prices include that VAT pricing that Europe has to punish consumerism, so who knows may be a bit cheaper in the US. However without knowing a lot of specifics, I'm not willing to be a beta tester for any company if I have to pay for the product. Unfortunately I'm not a "player" in the hobby who gets units for free to beta test either, so yeah... I can happily wait to see what's best for me at the end of the day, and am willing to pay a little bit more to have some piece of mind. Just hope we don't see what we did with the Triton and some rather "unscrupulous" individuals helping create a shortage by becoming second hand resellers.

Stand alone means it will work without the need for their controller.
Slave means it will require a ghl controller for it to work like trident.
One of the things I like about ghl is that each product they release can work stand alone even if you do not have their controller so they do not force you on buying controllers or update existing ones, which is painful to someone who has million wires in the cabinet ha ha..

I will update this thread once I know how much exactly is the out of pocket for a usa purchase. I doubt I will pay VAT, they have a usa branch in new York. All my ghl came from the usa distribution branch without VAT..
I think it's cheaper than trident (especially if you account for the fact that trident require the latest apex) and more useful as I do value potassium and nitrate test much more than mag. Also from their descriptions and plans over the last 6 months, look like it will require less maintenance fees and reagent cost compared to trident but that is still yet to be seen.
Still not sure about the ion prob maintenance, I would like to think it will be more sturdy than peristaltic pumps at least...

I think testing probs will be the way of testing in the near future compared to titration and peristaltic based testers, and I think ghl is leading this wave, let's hope they succeed.
As for pay or not pay, at the end of the day this is not must have for a successful reef, we all know that. It will be good for some and overkill for others, regardless reefs will thrive with or without automation:))

Last edited:
Ok so what does "single device" mean then? :D
Lol
The ion director is similar to the kh director. It requires a doser.
So the ion director itself is a device. Then you need a 3 ports doser with it to handle water pull in, flush, dosing....etc
When they say single device it means without the doser. The set is the ion director and the 4 heads doser.
Thw stand alone vs slave mode are terminologies used by ghl and their customers are used to it that's why they keep using it.
I hope my understanding is correct ha ha

Gotcha. I mean I knew there was a need to pull in water, just thought the device did it all. I guess the al a carte hardware does have benefits, but would bring the cost of the unit much more than that of "the competition" doubly so if you can't use a 3rd party (non-GHL) dosing solution, because really would feel like a "waste" to have to use a high end doser just to bring tank water to the doser.

Either way though, thanks for the explanation I understand the different levels.

So does the machine draw water up to the probe for testing? Does it test all the parameters with the same water? I didn’t see it mention how much of the calibration fluid it uses for each test.

So does the machine draw water up to the probe for testing? Does it test all the parameters with the same water? I didn’t see it mention how much of the calibration fluid it uses for each test.
Yes for the2 questions.
How much fluids I do not know yet...

I got the pre order. The whol set is 765$ for USA customers. I completed the pre order and should get a unit march-2020.

Thanks @ofzakaria for the heads up! I plan to also place an advance order and hope they do better than Mindstream on order fulfillment ;)
:)) yup fingers crossed.
At least ghl is solid company and been in the industry for a while. I gradually switched to their products and pretty much have all their products except their lights..solid quality..

Here’s the U.S. pricing if anyone is still confused:

ION Director pricing
ION Director single device: $499.90 ($424.92 if ordered before 01/31/20)
ION Director Standalone Set: $899.90 ($764.92 if ordered before 01/31/20)
ION Director Slave Set: $849.90 ($722.42 if ordered before 01/31/20)
Replacement multi-ion probe: $129.90

Preorders are pushed to May I believe. Has anyone placed an order recently and have an idea when more recent orders might get fulfilled? They have a supply issue with the probes, but I imagine they will have everything else ready and be able to deliver fairly quickly after getting the probes.

Wow, autumn 2020 now. I think it will be worth the wait as they continue to work on improving the design that was already impressive

Back