Reef nutrition

Help me pick a return pump.

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So I'm kicking it up a gear and I'm getting serious about getting this 100g going. I was thinking of going with an Ecotech Vectra since I'm planning on going with Vortec and Radions. Then someone suggested I look into the Syncra adv or sdc lines. I've got a cheap Jebao on my 40g and it's working just fine. Help!!!

How much flow you want? Care if it’s AC or dc? Assuming it will be submersible install?
Varios pumps are pretty good for dc.
Eheim pretty solid for AC.

How much flow you want? Care if it’s AC or dc? Assuming it will be submersible install?
Varios pumps are pretty good for dc.
Eheim pretty solid for AC.

I dont really care if its AC or DC. Yes it will be submerged. How much flow do I need for a 100g with a 40g sump? I just want it to work and be reliable.

Then I definitely suggest dual (2) return pumps. All pumps will die, get clogged, etc, so having a 2nd one always running will be the most reliable. This has saved my tank numerous times over the years.

Then would I have to run two return lines back to the tank? The tank is only drilled for a single return.

1,000 gph will give you close to 10x turn over. If you get a pump that claims close to 2,000gph then you can run it at 50% and theoretically increase it’s longevity.

I recommend a DC pump. Any adjustable pump can do a feed mode - it’s about finding the lowest speed that keeps water from draining.

@svreef a check valve would do the same right?

Yes, but I recommend against it. They’re not reliable.

Like you, I also wanted a feed mode but I’ve found that it’s not necessary. If you feed pellets, use a feeding ring. Frozen food may end up with a few making it to the sump, but that’s ok because filter socks catch it or it feeds the sump critters.

Also, two pumps are great, but not necessary for them to be running all the time unless you leave your tank unattended for long periods of time. You can buy a second pump and store it until you need it.

I dont really care if its AC or DC. Yes it will be submerged. How much flow do I need for a 100g with a 40g sump? I just want it to work and be reliable.
Look at the electrical consumption and you might change your mind about not caring AC vs. DC for a reasonably sized return pump. I am assuming you aren't constantly running a heater that would be replaced with this though. Some brands are easier to put backup power on than others. Given warranty experiences I recommend Ecotech over Neptune (Apex) most days of the week if you aren't controlling via Apex. I don't have enough experience with other DC pumps to add much of an opinion.

Two is better than one in terms of reliability if you're willing to accept the cost.
Good system design does not require check valves, and I don't trust them in marine applications.
I have diamond hole saws if you're feeling adventurous, and think I'll have my mill up and running soon as well, although tanks are typically better done in a floor standing drill press. Doable by hand as well, just a bit touchier.

Im the guy who recommended the sicce syncas. I think they are great and have a five year warranty. I run one on my skimmer.

I had a simplicity 1600 running on the tank, that's now in Eric's hands, for the last year or so before i broke it all down. Now I have two of the same running on my 220. They're are a Jabeo clone I believe. I personally don't believe you need crazy turnover through the sump. 5 times tank volume should be good and will keep the durso quiet. If you go with the simplicity 3200, you can tee off for the refugium and whatever else, plus dial in the return flow. I think they're $160 or so with a three year prorated warranty.

But it f you want to spend a little dough, I like the sicce line of ac and dc pumps. Ecotech will also be an option for you since you want to be in that whole ecosystem.

In the end. Set a budget and buy the best in that price range

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you want DC, quiet, feed mode, a float that shuts down the pump of water level gets too low, and is controllable on the Apex look no further than the Reef Octopus Varios. I have one that’s been going for 5 years.

Black Friday is coming. They usually go on sale

Last edited:
A word on rated GPH. If a pump is rated for 2000gph, you will not get 2000gph out of it once you factor in plumbing. Depending on tube size, number of restrictions (fittings etc), you may get as little as 300gph out of a rated 2000gph pump.

A DC pump can be controlled to run slower so bigger is better to a point.

I never got the tank wet, but my approach for the 90 cube I was going to setup before the landlord chipped in was 2 large dc jabao pumps. And my plan was to replace them with ecotech dc pumps so I made sure the plumbing would make a switch easy and that the flow was somewhat similar. I took that approach to offset the cost of nice pumps to later so the initial setup wouldn’t be as expensive. Then after upgrading I would have the jabao as backup to swap in.
Jabao works great(I personally have had 0 issues, but my oldest jabao pump is less than 1 yr), but you have to expect it can fail and have a contingency plan.
For AC it’s hard to beat sicce. I had the 4.0 and am using the 1.0 on my current tank. They’re quiet and push a lot of flow.
I agree with svreef, feed mode is pretty overrated and a feeding ring works great so I wouldn’t make that a deciding factor, but it’s your tank!

You can run two pumps on one return if you have TEE them together, and have a check valve on each pump before the TEE.
That also works well with feed mode.

It is true that check valves are not very reliable!!!! But it does not really matter in this case.
Check valves get crud in them, and do not seal fully closed, so should not be relied on to eliminate a flood when pump fails.
But in this case, the check valve is really just to keep water from going out the other pump if one fails, so it does not matter if it leaks a bit.
Same for feed mode. A bit of a leak is no big deal.

But ALWAYS have a siphon break of some sort as backup.

You can run two pumps on one return if you have TEE them together, and have a check valve on each pump before the TEE.
That also works well with feed mode.

It is true that check valves are not very reliable!!!! But it does not really matter in this case.
Check valves get crud in them, and do not seal fully closed, so should not be relied on to eliminate a flood when pump fails.
But in this case, the check valve is really just to keep water from going out the other pump if one fails, so it does not matter if it leaks a bit.
Same for feed mode. A bit of a leak is no big deal.

But ALWAYS have a siphon break of some sort as backup.

That's how I run pumps in lift stations when I build them. It's just usually with 480v 15hp pumps.

Back