got ethical husbandry?

Help me pick an aquarium controller

I'm debating between the Neptune Apex (which I've used before), the Profilux and the Coralvue Hydros

I currently dose all for reef and Nopox, and utilize 2 red sea reef waves and 1 reef octopus pulse 2 for wave makers.

I'm really looking for basic functionality like turning things on and off, turning off my skimmer if it overflows. I'd eventually like to get into automated dosing and testing, which is leaning me towards the profilux, but I'm open to hearing your thoughts/opinions

Thanks!

I’ve used an ApexEL and am currently using a profilux mini. I switched to GhL after testing their ecosystem with a stand alone doser. I preferred the GHL interface and have been happy with the doser so I’ll probably stay with GHL going forward.

For basic on/off I don’t think there’s a huge difference between the options, but it’s the expansion that starts to separate them. If you think you would like to eventually have a bigger system with dosing integrated to the controller then I would build out a cart of what you need to get there with each option and compare.

I have an icecap gyre which is controlled with the hydros app, I think it has potential and would be curious to try out their new controller. I’m sure there will be more content around those as more people begin to get them

It seems like the hydros doesn't really have anything that supports automated dosing...Profilux and Neptune are both around the same cost to get automated dosing setup (though it seems like the trident has been hit with a lot of issues)

You can also use a tester that isn’t from Neptune or GHL and still integrate it with your controller. I use a kh guardian, like a few others on here, and it connects with a bnc just as if it were a pH probe. I believe the alktronic can do this too.

I don’t think hydros can control dosing pump right now. I have the hydros 2, mainly for fail safe ATO and heater. Hydros marketing tend to be overly optimistic. They will claim support for feature that is plan to be available in the future.

I choose hydros because if my simple needs and also the cheapest. If you’re looking to expand into more features, I suggest stay away from Hydros.

I have tried reef-angel and DIY, but currently use Neptune Apex and am quite happy.

Personal opinion:
I really like the Fusion web interface, and software seems stable and easy to use.
The hardware, especially salinity probe, could be improved. Not "bad" but needs some work.

The rumors: Neptune has better software, GHL has better hardware.

I have tried reef-angel and DIY, but currently use Neptune Apex and am quite happy.

Personal opinion:
I really like the Fusion web interface, and software seems stable and easy to use.
The hardware, especially salinity probe, could be improved. Not "bad" but needs some work.

The rumors: Neptune has better software, GHL has better hardware.
I agree with the last statement with my experience so far and it is a hard choice between more reliable hardware and more stable software which is a common theme in this world currently. I really wish the best hardware companies can hire a decent software engineer as in today’s day and age not being able to connect quickly can become frustrating.

I currently have an apex controlling the power but will be switching over to all GHL whenever my bank account permits it. My personal reason for running with GHL is wanting stable dosing/testing and when comparing the apex doser to the GHL imo the comparison is night and day. Once you get over the hurdles of the software(apex is far more user friendly and connection is as good as a Silicon Valley companies should be) I trust GHLs hardware way more and when it comes to auto dosing/testing that’s what matters the most to me so I put my faith in GHL. Way too many trident units crapping out at the 6month mark for me to ever trust that unit especially since it just does standard titration tests which I’m perfectly capable of doing.

Personally I’d save money by trying to find an old apex classic for basic options and monitoring and then when ready add a KH guardian. This will be very cost effective and space saving.

The only things you lose with a classic apex vs an EL are built in WiFi, the power monitoring and compatibility with the Trident. The EL’s power strips are monstrosities, and the Trident is even larger. I miss the power monitoring, but it’s not worth the extra coin to me.

I ran a profilux 3 in the past, and loved it. Like absolutely loved it. But, they are very expensive. I’ve never used a 4. Profilux’s testing units are fairly new, and not a proven product yet (IMO).

I actually say that NOBODY makes a good power bar for fish tanks.

Key things missing:

1) Very heavy duty relays.
Power supplies like used for LED lighting have huge inrush current. It can be upwards of 60A.
You don't need that for short term current, but it really should be up in the 20A heavy duty range, not tiny ones often used.
Plus, those larger relays have larger springs and larger contacts, so are less prone to welding closed.

2) Moisture sealed
Seriously ... salt spray from a nearby skimmer and electronics do not mix.
Why are all these systems so wide open. IP65 is really not that hard these days.

3) Separate GFCI on every outlet, not on main.
A problem with salt creep and other issues is that some components start to leak to ground.
When they do, they trip the single GFCI, and everything goes down.
Everything going down is a really bad thing.

But ... it always comes down to cost. Customers will rarely pay extra for higher quality.

You can also use a tester that isn’t from Neptune or GHL and still integrate it with your controller. I use a kh guardian, like a few others on here, and it connects with a bnc just as if it were a pH probe. I believe the alktronic can do this too.
To me ghl paired with khg is powerful and cost effective como.

Back