Cali Kid Corals

Help me pick an aquarium controller

I currently have an apex controlling the power but will be switching over to all GHL whenever my bank account permits it. My personal reason for running with GHL is wanting stable dosing/testing and when comparing the apex doser to the GHL imo the comparison is night and day. Once you get over the hurdles of the software(apex is far more user friendly and connection is as good as a Silicon Valley companies should be) I trust GHLs hardware way more and when it comes to auto dosing/testing that’s what matters the most to me so I put my faith in GHL. Way too many trident units crapping out at the 6month mark for me to ever trust that unit especially since it just does standard titration tests which I’m perfectly capable of doing.
Lots to unpack here but I would like to hear what your comparisons are on the dosers and where are you getting the information of lots Tridents failing at the 6 month mark.

Lots to unpack here but I would like to hear what your comparisons are on the dosers and where are you getting the information of lots Tridents failing at the 6 month mark.
On the doser part that is mainly a pricing comparison as 419$ vs 600$ for 4 dosing heads is quite a difference and definitely led to my decision to run GHL dosers as both units do exactly what they should do just an extra 180$ is a steep jump for essentially the same items.
I’m not sure if you are active on IG/FB/R2R but you certainly don’t have to look far for peoples reviews on the trident. I personally know a half a dozen friends on IG that have had nothing but issues with lines clogging, inaccurate tests and just overall inconsistent performance. It seems when it works it works but there’s far too many examples of people having to disassemble a very expensive unit(yes I know they will be fixed but for 600$ there shouldn’t be that many units having issues) These may be a splash in the pond over how many units function as they should but I have terrible luck so I air on the side of caution as the only issues I’ve seen with GHL testing revolves around a complicated setup but once it’s done they run flawlessly and that’s been my experience so far.

I believe so. Max I can go back is a month.
I saw someone on some reefing forum that said they used the status update emails that you can have the p4 send to populate a spreadsheet. They just had some script to pull the emails for their inbox and parse the results into a table.

When I get the p4 I’ll do something similar and can share it

How far back can you read your ph,salinity, orp,and temp on the Neptune/GHL?
The graph on the Fusion dashboard, to see PH, salinity, etc, goes back to mid October.
The output log, that keep track of power switching on/off, goes back to mid Feb.

I really have not idea what those are based on.

Just thinking about this thread .... and if I had to do it all over again.
(As background, I have done DIY, Apex, RA, and ReefBot)

I would probably get an Apex again, for simple logging of basic parameters, and doser control only,
really because I like being able to see the Fusion interface anywhere.

I would stick with manual water tests, not Trident/Reefbot/whatever.

I would go with a Ranco temperature controller, not Apex.

For dosing pumps, I thing I would spend the money and get Stenner or similar industrial ones. (around $275)
I liked Litermeter 3, but not sure they make them any more.
Not thrilled with Apex DOS or BRS pumps.
Really high quality pumps are super expensive, but counting what I have spent on cheap ones over the years, I think I made a mistake.

Lights control themselves.

I saw someone on some reefing forum that said they used the status update emails that you can have the p4 send to populate a spreadsheet. They just had some script to pull the emails for their inbox and parse the results into a table.

When I get the p4 I’ll do something similar and can share it
Hands on one of the most useful features ghl has is their system alarms and updates.
I have it sending me a txt twice a day with a summary of my systems updates.
To me, what made me move from apex to ghl is the reliability of prob readings. I was just tired of describing my pros as event indicator not absolute measurements.
The quality if the build is also stark difference to me.
My recent frag tank I also went ghl p4. So clearly did not regret it.

I would say this.
When I was thinking of the switch, there was a theme of most would say what they currently have is the best. What I realized is to look for folks who experienced both products and ask them specific questions not only "what u think I should get".
Cause at the end of the day its what you want to do with the device matters. For some. Apex is more than enough, for others GHL is...
My 2 cents.

On the doser part that is mainly a pricing comparison as 419$ vs 600$ for 4 dosing heads is quite a difference and definitely led to my decision to run GHL dosers as both units do exactly what they should do just an extra 180$ is a steep jump for essentially the same items.
I’m not sure if you are active on IG/FB/R2R but you certainly don’t have to look far for peoples reviews on the trident. I personally know a half a dozen friends on IG that have had nothing but issues with lines clogging, inaccurate tests and just overall inconsistent performance. It seems when it works it works but there’s far too many examples of people having to disassemble a very expensive unit(yes I know they will be fixed but for 600$ there shouldn’t be that many units having issues) These may be a splash in the pond over how many units function as they should but I have terrible luck so I air on the side of caution as the only issues I’ve seen with GHL testing revolves around a complicated setup but once it’s done they run flawlessly and that’s been my experience so far.
The dosers use vastly different type of pumps. A comparable GHL doser would be the Doser Maxi which retails for $379. A difference of $40. The Maxi is also a 2 headed doser. These are not the same items as the 2.1 or 4.1 doser.

The issues on the Trident due to clogging is almost always due to the users not running the recommended testing schedules or not taking care of issues like allowing the Trident to run out of reagents. This causes fluid to dry up in the lines causing clogs. Or if they put the tube into an area of the sump that has a lot of debris in the water. We have a filter that we can send to these customers.

The other issue we see are the lines popping off the manifold. This is almost always caused by a pinched line, usually the waste line.

Testing accuracy is another issue altogether. Most compare the Trident results to manual tests. Without validating how accurate the manual test is, there really isn't any basis for comparison.

I would be happy to see these issues your friends have if you forward their post to me.

As you alluded to, the number of issues you see on line ARE but a splash in the pond over how many units are sold and work. The same can be said of GHL. A glance on the facebook page will reveal that users experience issues with all GHL product as well. Nothing is perfect. Users only post when they have issues. Such is the way it is.

I am not saying that choosing GHL over Apex is wrong, you have your opinions and reasons. I just wanted some clarification on some of your points.

I do want to emphasize two things:
While there are junk vendors out there, Neptune and GHL are NOT one them!
Neptune is local, and has been very supportive of this club.

If either were junk, or had terrible service, BAR members would have shared that warning by now, many times over.

This club does not officially "endorse" specific products though, so the second part is just for information.

The dosers use vastly different type of pumps. A comparable GHL doser would be the Doser Maxi which retails for $379. A difference of $40. The Maxi is also a 2 headed doser. These are not the same items as the 2.1 or 4.1 doser.

The issues on the Trident due to clogging is almost always due to the users not running the recommended testing schedules or not taking care of issues like allowing the Trident to run out of reagents. This causes fluid to dry up in the lines causing clogs. Or if they put the tube into an area of the sump that has a lot of debris in the water. We have a filter that we can send to these customers.

The other issue we see are the lines popping off the manifold. This is almost always caused by a pinched line, usually the waste line.

Testing accuracy is another issue altogether. Most compare the Trident results to manual tests. Without validating how accurate the manual test is, there really isn't any basis for comparison.

I would be happy to see these issues your friends have if you forward their post to me.

As you alluded to, the number of issues you see on line ARE but a splash in the pond over how many units are sold and work. The same can be said of GHL. A glance on the facebook page will reveal that users experience issues with all GHL product as well. Nothing is perfect. Users only post when they have issues. Such is the way it is.

I am not saying that choosing GHL over Apex is wrong, you have your opinions and reasons. I just wanted some clarification on some of your points.
I wasn’t aware of the pump difference so that definitely makes more sense in the scope of pricing so thank you for that info. I definitely agree that user error is probably like 90% of the issues most companies deal with. In no way was I trying to trident bash as I feel both of your companies do great things and I wouldn’t even have thought about switching from apex till a couple years ago when auto testing started to come into play. I knew I wanted in and waited a couple years to see what panned out, and in the end I’m choosing GHL due to the probe style testing which requires less reagents and in the case of the ion director none. Perhaps since I have been a Neptune user for so long I’m more saturated to the problems in that world where I’m just starting to dip my toes into GHLs forums/community.

I do want to emphasize two things:
While there are junk vendors out there, Neptune and GHL are NOT one them!
Neptune is local, and has been very supportive of this club.

If either were junk, or had terrible service, BAR members would have shared that warning by now, many times over.

This club does not officially "endorse" specific products though, so the second part is just for information.
I agree. I see them as 2 roads that both lead to the same end, just how you get there is up to you. Both are amazing companies that make awesome stuff for us.

I wasn’t aware of the pump difference so that definitely makes more sense in the scope of pricing so thank you for that info. I definitely agree that user error is probably like 90% of the issues most companies deal with. In no way was I trying to trident bash as I feel both of your companies do great things and I wouldn’t even have thought about switching from apex till a couple years ago when auto testing started to come into play. I knew I wanted in and waited a couple years to see what panned out, and in the end I’m choosing GHL due to the probe style testing which requires less reagents and in the case of the ion director none. Perhaps since I have been a Neptune user for so long I’m more saturated to the problems in that world where I’m just starting to dip my toes into GHLs forums/community.

And for more clarification. The KHD uses 1 reagent since it only tests 1 parameter. The IOND actually requires, IIRC, 2 reference solutions and maybe an RODI supply ( I am not positive on the RODI but from my research, ion probes need to be rinsed off after use. So while there are no reagents per se, you are still required to replace fluids.

Not trying to point things out, just wanted accurate information to be relayed.

And for more clarification. The KHD uses 1 reagent since it only tests 1 parameter. The IOND actually requires, IIRC, 2 reference solutions and maybe an RODI supply ( I am not positive on the RODI but from my research, ion probes need to be rinsed off after use. So while there are no reagents per se, you are still required to replace fluids.

This is the IOND in action. It shows the operation.
I actually cannot wait to get my hands on one of these..

Last edited:

Yea for my KHD each test is flushed and cleaned requiring more tank water by a long shot. I think it’s about 115 ml per test which I just have my doser replace from the reservoir of saltwater and call it a tiny waterchange lol

Yea for my KHD each test is flushed and cleaned requiring more tank water by a long shot. I think it’s about 115 ml per test which I just have my doser replace from the reservoir of saltwater and call it a tiny waterchange lol
Thats one of the reasons I kept KHG for years, thu I can testify to its accuracy from experience.
Not being able to put back water sample is annoying to me :))

Back