Neptune Aquatics

Silversides ?

Petsmart also sells them...

BUT don't feed silversides to BTAs. Feed shrimp or mysis instead.

why don’t you feed silversides to BTA’s? This seems to be the food of choice according to many threads I’ve read. I’d like to know more about your opinion on why not to ?

Randy

i've tried silversides, and it didnt work for me, and even shrimp didnt work for me, my nem would only eat tiny frozen mysis

why don’t you feed silversides to BTA’s? This seems to be the food of choice according to many threads I’ve read. I’d like to know more about your opinion on why not to ?

Randy
Biggest problem with silversides is that the handling and processing is a roll of the dice so they can sometimes harbor things that can get a nem sick. Bad seafood can get a nem sick very quickly. Anecdotally, I've heard bones from silversides can be problematic...though if you cut it up small enough you can probably negate. (Ironically, nems eat via symbiotic bacteria...that spoils and digests the food... but bad bacteria or bacterial imbalance can kill a nem prettty quickly)

Which brings me to the reason i hate silversides... thawing and cutting silversides just to feed a tiny piece is a PITA...and stinks too. I opt for convenience any day. :)

For what it's worth none of the experienced high end nem keepers feed silversides...at least of the ones I know.

That said, i have a whole barely used package of silversides... maybe taken out 2 fish at most. You are welcome to have it if you swing by Mountain View as i am just using it as an icepack in the freezer...

Nems are photosynthetic. They do not need solid food to survive.

They are opportunistic feeders so any food that touches their tentacles will get pulled in.

If you broadcast feed your tank, some of it will get picked up by the nem. You do not need to purposely feed your nem.

If I find a large chunk in my frozen, I do feed it to the nem so as not to waste it floating around until it breaks down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My preferred feed for Nems in my propagation tank was TDO pellets. Clean, easy to feed to multiple Nems, and magically delicious. Vincent is correct that they are photosynthetic and there is no actual requirement to feed them, but the prevailing theory is that young Nems especially do benefit from occasional feedings. Nmes appear to get about 90% of all their nutrition via photosynthesis, but that is on the form of sugars. Young Nems especially do benefit from some fats, and other nutrients besides just sugar. Broadcast feeding in many tanks gives that, but it is also an inefficient means to make certain Nems got the extra nutrients so dropping a TDO pellet or two in one every week can't hurt. :)

My preferred feed for Nems in my propagation tank was TDO pellets. Clean, easy to feed to multiple Nems, and magically delicious. Vincent is correct that they are photosynthetic and there is no actual requirement to feed them, but the prevailing theory is that young Nems especially do benefit from occasional feedings. Nmes appear to get about 90% of all their nutrition via photosynthesis, but that is on the form of sugars. Young Nems especially do benefit from some fats, and other nutrients besides just sugar. Broadcast feeding in many tanks gives that, but it is also an inefficient means to make certain Nems got the extra nutrients so dropping a TDO pellet or two in one every week can't hurt. :)
Well well well. Bruce recommending more fats?
nobody is asking how to feed me and you buddy.

Well... I saw all these posts after the fact. With that said here are some elapsed pictures. I cut it in 3 pieces.

Attachments

• F1F95A6A-0404-4E23-A720-BEDEC5B297CA.jpeg
    F1F95A6A-0404-4E23-A720-BEDEC5B297CA.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 161
  • A9FD3F0B-EC9D-4FBB-9835-0D30CB84EBBB.jpeg
    A9FD3F0B-EC9D-4FBB-9835-0D30CB84EBBB.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 163
Back