Neptune Aquatics

Anyone kept dwarf cuttle? (Sepia bandensis)

Just ordered some from blue zoo ( https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=17506&cid=86 ), going to give them a shot. Anyone have any experience? Thinking of keeping them in my 12gallon tank with seahorses while they are small (bought babies, less than .5" in) and moving them into the 40 with the garden eels and my orange spot when they get a little bigger, should be a cool little tank. My main concerns are the seahorses eating them, since they are coming in so small and seahorses are dumb and try to eat anything. I also have a coral croucher in the 12 gallon, ambush predator that could attack them when they are small. Now that I think about it, I think I will buy a little breeder box for them just to be on the safe side when they are so tiny.

I bought 5 with the expectation that 1-3 might not make it being that they are still babies and very fragile. I am really only planning on keeping 2, and assuming they all make it to adulthood would be happy to pass the extras along to other people in the club that wanna give them a try. Will update when I receive them tomorrow

Thales (Rich Ross) is rather experienced in keeping, and breeding, S. bandensis. He's written a lot on the subject,

Wow, I have wanted to keep S bandensis for the longest time. Seriously jealous right now. I’ve done quite a bit of research on them but never kept them myself. Rich is widely recognized for being quite knowledgeable and experienced with them. @Thales

Thales (Rich Ross) is rather experienced in keeping, and breeding, S. bandensis. He's written a lot on the subject,

What are you planning to feed them?
Gonna start with live brine, then frozen brine, then frozen mysis and hopefully that works, thats normally what I do with finicky fish. Also fun stuff like crabs and small fish when they get bigger. Thanks everyone for the helpful links!

I seriously haven't seen Rich in like 10 years!

Anyone know what he's up to?

V

Also check out The Reef Beef podcast

I just went to their website
I noticed this rabbitfish...it’s wrong identification and extremely poor specimen

I would be very suspect of the individuals they will send you
Cuttles are very fragile and don’t ship well.
And the site covers their a$$ with the “restriction on guarantee”

I noticed this rabbitfish...it’s wrong identification and extremely poor specimen
On the plus side, assuming it is a Foxface, it is actually a more expensive fish than a Virgate.
And what the heck is with prices of Magnificent foxfaces. Mine died a few years back, I think simply of old age. $$$

But more on topic:
Opinion: Anything that is tank raised has a lot lower chance of dying in a couple of days after shipping, unlike Cyanide caught fish for example.
So the arrive-alive only guarantee may not be ideal, but it is really not really so bad.

Yeah blue zoo not my first choice but no one has cuttles. Just got them in this morning, all 5 are alive and sitting in the breeder box. They are like .3-.4 in tho lol
D36EA81C-76DC-4E15-8597-99613DF8D4BE.jpeg

I would be very suspect of the individuals they will send you
Cuttles are very fragile and don’t ship well.
And the site covers their a$$ with the “restriction on guarantee”
Blue Zoo is pretty legit when it comes to cuttles.
On the plus side, assuming it is a Foxface, it is actually a more expensive fish than a Virgate.
And what the heck is with prices of Magnificent foxfaces. Mine died a few years back, I think simply of old age. $$$

But more on topic:
Opinion: Anything that is tank raised has a lot lower chance of dying in a couple of days after shipping, unlike Cyanide caught fish for example.
So the arrive-alive only guarantee may not be ideal, but it is really not really so bad.
Rabbitfish aren't a Cn target species. They're collected in schools, one of the easier ones to collect. Their issue tends to be starvation in the CoC,

Back