Our mission

Skimmer Opinions

Qwiv

Supporting Member
Considering upgrading my Skimmer, which I think will require I update my sump as well. The current sump is pretty well purpose built for the no longer made Bubble Magnus Skimmer I have. Skimmer Compartment has a 6 3/4" water height designed as a really short package to fit under my stand with a removable shelf in place. I haven't found any skimmers that are suited for a 6.75 water height that are not for nano tanks other then Skimz which looks MIA. This is for a 60 cube. I am looking for a quiet DC skimmer and everything I have found wants 7" to 9" water height and the skimmers are all pretty tall, so the shelf will also need to go for the extra head height

First, anyone know a quite small form factor skimmer that is would work in 6.75" water. This one works fine, but I am trying to get to super quiet one as I work like 5' away from the tank some days and I am noise sensitive. This sump/skimmer combo works fine, just trying to get to "silent" Something just undersized is just fine too.

Going to assume that is a No and everyone will say Go Big or Go Home. :) So I am ok and ripping out the shelf and going for a new sump to get a taller skimmer if I have to. I am not interested in oversizing my skimmer though. I typically build my sumps, but I am way to busy now and the garage is packed with other projects that need to get done, summer approaching...., so would likely just get this sump as this specific design is what I reconfigured my current sump to using the original glass baffles. This would be a "quick" swap for the added water height:

Triton 20 V2
1652336631375.png

So, narrowing the options to a DC skimmer that would fit in this form factor and is not crazy over sized. Not been in the skimmer game for a long time, so really only looked at what BRS has on offer so I know I am missing a lot of options.

Any pointers to research would be nice if anyone has the time.

I have a Skimz in a box - older with a Varios 2 pump - I’ll take some pics tonight and send them to you tonight. In my buying spree many months ago before even having some tanks I was buying everything. Yours if you want based on pics and size working for you. The silencer might have a crack that super glue can fix but I’m not the diy kind of guy.

It might actually be a Coral life - picked it up in a Skimz box - based on looking at my office tank build thread.

The pump can be swapped in your current skimmer for a quieter dc pump. That would likely do what you are looking for in your current form factor. I like the reef octopus varios pumps for noise.

For skimmers, the go big or go home doesn't really work as well as an oversized skimmer will have a hard time making bubbles into skim head.

The pump can be swapped in your current skimmer for a quieter dc pump. That would likely do what you are looking for in your current form factor. I like the reef octopus varios pumps for noise.

For skimmers, the go big or go home doesn't really work as well as an oversized skimmer will have a hard time making bubbles into skim head.
Started looking for a replacement pump first and can't seam to find anything that fits as it is pretty compact. The Bubble Magnus has the pump mounted under the skimmer and if you put a bigger pump in, it will lift the skimmer body off its legs making the water level issue worse.
Before I 100% move forward I'll look for a replacement pump or impeller first to save the coin and do a quick baffle retrofit. Just looked that skimmer up and it wants 8-9" water too, so maybe that is the issue. The skimmer came with the sump when I originally bought this. It actually works fine pulling skim on a empty tank, but it is certainly an entry unit ripe for an upgrade and undersized if it can skim an empty tank..

Didn't come up with anything so far on a pump and buying a 300 pump for a 100 skimmer seams silly but maybe I can get @wazzupmac skimmer working, If not for me for the next guy. I'll defiantly retrofit the sump to a 8" water lever before I pass it on to another BAR member with maybe a 40 gallon as is does work well and the sump is good quality glass.

If you willing to spend for a highend Royal Exclusiv skimmer BK Mini160 water recommend from 5.12" to 11.8".

If you willing to spend for a highend Royal Exclusiv skimmer BK Mini160 water recommend from 5.12" to 11.8".
Yah, I like that one and:

but neither fit in the sump compartment, so if I have to upgrade the sump I don't need to select the nicest small skimmer anymore. Only have about a 7 x 7 area now.

Last edited:
@Qwiv PM sent with pix

Says it will work down to 6.5” - close based on what you wrote. External pump will likely eliminate it as an option.

Vertex 130 with upgraded pump

Did a search for that $490 sump above as it sure is spendy for something I can make for way less and checked who else sold it to save some beer money and found:
[Edit - Researched that place and they seam 100% Bogus so I removed link to scammer]

Yah, bought that! What is the over under on me getting some garbage in the mail? This is not Aquarium or Reef Seller, so maybe they found a box of these somewhere? Let yal know if I just donated money.

Last edited:
Back