got ethical husbandry?

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Woke up and I’m missing a clownfish. Aggressive one is still there so I think she chased her tankmate out of the tiny gap in my lid again. I’ve searched all around the floor and inside my tank, including the filter.
Clearwater is out of frostbites for a month, bummer.
I think I’ll rehome my aggressive clown and get a pair of new ones. Anyone want 1 frozen frostbite clown?
Are there any gaps in the live rock it could've gotten stuck in? Also check in the pumps, even the outlet if you're using one of those random flow generators. I have a thread detailing my rescuing of a filefish from having gotten stuck in a random flow generator head.

Anyone know how to get one of those in say 62mm, 77mm or 82mm.... or what Gel color code these typically are?

Salty_Manos on Instagram just recommended this one to me. I love it.

Salty_Manos on Instagram just recommended this one to me. I love it.

Thanks. I probably have an 85b filter somewhere (that is the color of that filter BTW). Will give it a try.

I've trained my family to react to my inkbird's audible alarm. My freshwater planted 75G was at 80 and my IB started beeping so they all started acting in unison! "The dead fish timer is going off" :D

Reef crystals mixed for an hour registered at 11dKh. According to BRS that drops to 10-10.5 after 24h of mixing. My tank is at 9.1dKh.
How did I lose 1dKh without seeing coral growth?

Currently only have the funds for either a used Tunze 9004 DC AIO compatible skimmer or a 2nd NooPsyche light. I'm not super thrilled to run my light at 100% blues for 225 peak PAR. What would make more of an impact to my reef? If I get the skimmer then I would shut down my refugium (still 0, 0 nutrients) .

Skimmer for oxygenation and nutrient removal. 220 is plenty of par for anything you are growing in the first year.

Feed more to your fish and coral multiple times a day to get your nutrients up. Then use the skimmer to get them out.

An aquarium with good filtration and ok lighting can grow wonderful soft/lps corals, and maybe some sps. An aquarium with inadequate filtration and great lighting can grow wonderful algae and some bleached corals (overly lit softies & lps, dying sps).

Separately, a fuge is good for nutrients, and great for pods. Remember a fuge is just a harder celled algae growing outside your main tank area. If you want it to eat less stuff, and grow less, you can reduce the lighting period on it.

Made arrangements with a BAR member to pick up the skimmer this week. I hope that might help with my worsening cyano problem. My flow is rearranging my sand and the cyano is getting thicker.

I've been dosing 5ML of NeoNitro per day to prevent dinos and I finally got a Nitrate reading! 2-4ppm via RedSea basic. However still 0 phosphate. Should I start dosing NeoPhos?

Last edited:
I've been dosing 5ML of NeoNitro per day to prevent dinos and I finally got a Nitrate reading! 2-4ppm via RedSea basic. However still 0 phosphate. Should I start dosing NeoPhos?
No!!!

What Eric said, and I am pretty sure I said this earlier too, feed more to get nitrates and phosphates. You can play with the ratio of frozen to flake to reef roids to mess with ratios of nitrates and phosphates going in.

Stop putting anything in your tank that isn't salt water or food!!! I promise it will work out.

I'm feeding a snow blizzard of frozen food 2x per day. Ive run out of NeoNitro so I'll stop dosing it. My fish arent super thrilled with my NLS pellet food. I've been feeding A/B+ twice a week to raise nutrients.
What Eric said, and I am pretty sure I said this earlier too, feed more to get nitrates and phosphates. You can play with the ratio of frozen to flake to reef roids to mess with ratios of nitrates and phosphates going in.

Stop putting anything in your tank that isn't salt water or food!!! I promise it will work out.
Feed some reef roids if you want phosphates. Any time I use those my po4 jumps
Reef roids it is!

I'm feeding a snow blizzard of frozen food 2x per day. Ive run out of NeoNitro so I'll stop dosing it. My fish arent super thrilled with my NLS pellet food. I've been feeding A/B+ twice a week to raise nutrients.

Reef roids it is!
What size NLS pellets do you have. All my fish love NLS thera+a pellets but I get the "small fish" version which I think is 0.5mm pellets. All eat these small pellets, only my bigger fish would eat anything bigger.

Back