Neptune Aquatics

Large persistent "red tide" algae bloom in the Bay

So far (at least haven't found any news of it) no major fish die-offs. But may want to not swim or eat fish/shellfish from the Bay for a while. Probably was not the best day to go windsurfing yesterday.

I've been in the bay every weekend kayaking since this was found, and it's really unsettling. At first I thought it was just my eyes, but then I read the articles. It looks like coffee, but doesn't smell or anything. I was dumb and my dog was with me, swimming and diving off the kayak for fun. She's fine though. The algae isn't "harmful" to humans/dogs at least.

Its been going on for over a month. At least we started seeing it around the estuary in alameda then. We have been out in the water (not where there is goo, just discolored water), and there have been no reports of people getting sick. It seems better in the last few days here. There were some dead fish on the beach by Foster city last week, but that is all I have heard of.

I went into Chevy's in Emeryville today, ended up walking out because nobody was working; but before I parked, I noticed the bay water was super red brown. Never seen it quite that ugly before

So far (at least haven't found any news of it) no major fish die-offs. But may want to not swim or eat fish/shellfish from the Bay for a while. Probably was not the best day to go windsurfing yesterday.

We’ll seems like there’s been a dead seal on the beach every time we go.

Back