got ethical husbandry?

Anyone know anything about the mighty magnet?

yngplo

Supporting Member
I came across a comment thread on youtube where someone suggested using a Mighty Magnet recently. I saw a few low-quality videos about it and came across the website. Are they legit? Does anyone here use them? What size should I get for my Aqueon Megaflow 120?

My friend uses it on his acrylic tank. Super strong magnet. Design is kinda ugly tho.

If your tank is glass base the strength of your algae scrapper off the thickness of the glass. Looks like the Aqueon Megaflow 120 is about 1/2” glass. I prefer the Tunze Care Magnet Strong or Strong+ for that thickness.

I came across a comment thread on youtube where someone suggested using a Mighty Magnet recently. I saw a few low-quality videos about it and came across the website. Are they legit? Does anyone here use them? What size should I get for my Aqueon Megaflow 120?
They are for real!

I may still have one; put it away since I didn’t want little fingers messing with it; scary picture. I have to check the basement to make sure it’s still there.
Although they are ugly in design, they are mighty as the name puts it.
A thing to consider with magnets, floating or not, is to not leave them stuck on the tank. Many years back there was a meeting in Hayward and among the talk, the person mentioned that magnets are not meant to be left in the tank; the simple reason is that there might be something caught in between the pad and that will scratch the surface; scratches might be so tiny and unnoticeable until algae grows an unsightly line. Tiny creatures might also make a home inside the magnet’s pad, just imagine a tiny snail and the ugly scratch on either glass or acrylic.

They are a strong magnet not unlike a lot of other brands strong magnets. Way stronger than those blue ones you see at Petco or some place similar, they're also more expensive. There's nothing inherently special about them though other than they are strong. IMO their add ons are what's cool about them. One is a triangle shape wedge on a pad that is great for pulling off coraline algae but you have to be careful that you don't have too strong of a magnet otherwise you'll prematurely wear it out, the algae sock is great too, but I found out you can buy ScotchBright Dobie pads that basically is the same thing (if you take the sponge out from inside) WAY cheaper too

They are a strong magnet not unlike a lot of other brands strong magnets. Way stronger than those blue ones you see at Petco or some place similar, they're also more expensive. There's nothing inherently special about them though other than they are strong. IMO their add ons are what's cool about them. One is a triangle shape wedge on a pad that is great for pulling off coraline algae but you have to be careful that you don't have too strong of a magnet otherwise you'll prematurely wear it out, the algae sock is great too, but I found out you can buy ScotchBright Dobie pads that basically is the same thing (if you take the sponge out from inside) WAY cheaper too
They were the strongest for quite some time... until magnet prices dropped and more people entered.

Mighty Magnet had a promotion at conferences years ago. If you could pull apart the strongest one, they'd give you $100.

My old boss pulled them apart... magnets stayed together, but he ripped the wood part off. They stopped the promotion after that lol

Back