Jestersix

7ft 230g Crystal Dynamic Build

Hi everyone!

Time for a build thread (might be my first ever :eek:)! I'm excited to say I ordered a 230g Crystal Dynamic tank, stand, and sump that will replace a 100g Waterbox (Platinum 130.4).

History
I’ve had about a dozen tanks over the years but only 4 have made it past the 1 year mark because I constantly upgraded and downgraded. Sometimes it was because of a move but mostly because I was young and impulsive and lived in SoCal where there was always a good deal on someone else’s tank breakdown. I took a couple years off reefing after a big move to the SF bay area and now that I'm back into it, I’ve had only 2 tanks over the last almost 4 years: a 40g IM Nuvo and my now a 100g Waterbox where I have grown an appreciation for softies and fish.

Why am I upgrading?
I fell for the classic LFS trick - ‘It’s ok to put a hippo tang in a 40g, just trade it in when it grows bigger.’ Now I’m attached and don’t want to trade her in. I also have some corals I wish I didn’t have (I sure wish I never picked up that branching GSP frag) so I’ll try to break them off the rocks when it comes time to do the tank transfer and I bought a lot of new rock for this scenario.

Equipment List
Tank: 84x30x21 Eurobraced with starboard bottom from Crystal Dynamic
Sump: 36x24x18 custom [basic] sump
Lights: 2x36” Aquatic Life Hybrid with 4x AI Hydra 26HD
Return pump: Jebao DCP-13000 (with a backup on hand)
Skimmer: Octopus SRO 5000 INT
Flow: 2x Vortech MP60 QD + 2x MP40 QD
Dosing: Avast K1 Kalk Reactor
Fuge: Skimz MBR157 Macroalgae Reactor
UV Sterilizer: Aqua UV 57w (is this big enough to be effective?)
Controller: ApexEL
Auto Water Change with Neptune DOS

What’s left to do
The tank should be here by the end of January.
Electrical work - I’ll need to setup a dedicated 20 amp breaker and replace the outlets currently on the wall with GFCI outlets.
Hang the lights from the ceiling (I’d appreciate any tips because I have no idea what I’m doing)
Cycle Rock (working on it now) and make ~250g saltwater to start it up.

My current tank
6d1922d8c09ec524e44a1e1738155986.jpg

Cycling rock - mix of caribsea shapes, branch, life rock, and base pieces
2a8d3c77b09c20db0031987ba99d4235.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, exciting!

I would consider something other than the AI Hydra 26’s, as those wont do much for a tank of that size. Pretty much just night lights ;)

Cant' wait to see this build. I have a CDA 225 (72X20X36) that has been running now for a couple of months, so we have a similar starting tank. Just a couple of comments:

1) You just spent a lot with Trent for a nice tank. Don't risk failure and a tank crash with a cheap return pump.I currently run a Ecotech M2 and a L2 on mine, but you don't have to run two return pumps. I just like redundancy where I can. In any case, there are cheaper options that are good without adding risk from a Jebao product.
2) I run an 80w UV on mine. Actually I run an 80w and a40 watt, but that's another story.
3) I played with a microalgae reactor for a while, but found that Algae Scrubbers are much more effective. I run a CW-300 on mine although a CW200 or similar would be fine as well.

Wow, exciting!

I would consider something other than the AI Hydra 26’s, as those wont do much for a tank of that size. Pretty much just night lights ;)

I dunno it's only 21" tall, could work fine, spread may be a little iffy at 30" though

Yep, at 21" tall I'm not worried about it. My current tank is 20.5" tall and I'm happy with the 2 hydra 26 HDs I have on there. Plus I'm adding 4 T5s and I mostly keep softies so I expect this to be plenty of light.

Cant' wait to see this build. I have a CDA 225 (72X20X36) that has been running now for a couple of months, so we have a similar starting tank. Just a couple of comments:

1) You just spent a lot with Trent for a nice tank. Don't risk failure and a tank crash with a cheap return pump.I currently run a Ecotech M2 and a L2 on mine, but you don't have to run two return pumps. I just like redundancy where I can. In any case, there are cheaper options that are good without adding risk from a Jebao product.
2) I run an 80w UV on mine. Actually I run an 80w and a40 watt, but that's another story.
3) I played with a microalgae reactor for a while, but found that Algae Scrubbers are much more effective. I run a CW-300 on mine although a CW200 or similar would be fine as well.
Thanks for the response!

1) I went back and forth with this decision for quite a while. I think these Jebao pumps deserve more credit than they get. I've had one running for almost 2 years and have read just as many reports of Vectra and COR pumps failing. I have another as a backup, upsized the pump so that I can run it at half speed, and am going to monitor power on the Apex. I'll know within an hour if it fails and have a couple people who can replace it if I happen to be out of town. I considered a Red Dragon so that I can really have peace of mind, but I'm pretty confident in the plan I have in place for now (though I'll be the first to admit I made a mistake if the pump dies within a short period).
2) I'm still on the fence about whether I want to run a UV or not. I already have this 57w on my 100g but if the general consensus is that it's too small I may scrap it.
3) Thanks for the tip! I bought the algae reactor on an impulse when BRS had a big sale. If I find this isn't keeping up I'll consider a switch to a scrubber.

I think it’s all about getting the flow through speed correct for then uv. Is it for parasites? I think they recommend 400 gal/hr for that model. I’d go a little less because why not? Still gets a volume equal to your whole tank through every hour.
If you decide to scrap it I may Be interested in buying it from you.

My concern with Jebao pumps isn't simply reliability. It's also safety. There have been too many reports in the past of their products leeching metals into tanks for me ever to use one. I'm also not a fan of knock-off products that use stolen intellectual property in order to make a cheaper product. I get that the second concern is an ethical issue though, but my first concern would be the safety of my reef.

I think it’s all about getting the flow through speed correct for then uv. Is it for parasites? I think they recommend 400 gal/hr for that model. I’d go a little less because why not? Still gets a volume equal to your whole tank through every hour.
If you decide to scrap it I may Be interested in buying it from you.

Yeah -- the 57 is right on the edge actually. Between not using one and using the 57 I'd definitely default to using a UV sterilizer on a tank.

My concern with Jebao pumps isn't simply reliability. It's also safety. There have been too many reports in the past of their products leeching metals into tanks for me ever to use one. I'm also not a fan of knock-off products that use stolen intellectual property in order to make a cheaper product. I get that the second concern is an ethical issue though, but my first concern would be the safety of my reef.

Ooh I hadn’t read about leeching metals... that’s definitely a concern and thank you for flagging!

Sounds like an AWESOME build

The reef octopus return pumps have proved to be the best and most reliable for me. And controllable by the apex...but not the EL

I have one that’s 4 years old and going strong. I do have a back up I just ordered because it is 4 years old...but still.

My current tank
6d1922d8c09ec524e44a1e1738155986.jpg

Cycling rock - mix of caribsea shapes, branch, life rock, and base pieces
2a8d3c77b09c20db0031987ba99d4235.jpg

Thank you for sharing the amazing tank and the plan. I have some similar setup with yours. I got a question on the Caribsea life rock. I have the same rock purchased from a website and just starting working on them today, but I found out there is some blue stuff came out from the rock and cover all over my hands when I preparing them. Do you have the same issue dealing with them? Is that normal?

There are some pics I below. Thank you in advance
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Thank you for sharing the amazing tank and the plan. I have some similar setup with yours. I got a question on the Caribsea life rock. I have the same rock purchased from a website and just starting working on them today, but I found out there is some blue stuff came out from the rock and cover all over my hands when I preparing them. Do you have the same issue dealing with them? Is that normal?

There are some pics I below. Thank you in advanceView attachment 13504View attachment 13505View attachment 13506

I didn’t notice any blue colors coming off the rock when I was handling it. I’d suggest reaching out to Caribsea. Let us know what they say!

Back