Our mission

Adding a Algae scrubber to a Reefer 900 DIY suggestions

Blaise006

Supporting Member
CE7DE037-E070-4EFC-957D-D9B306FE5B29.jpeg
Hi all,

Any opinions on adding a algae scrubber to this tank? I would prefer making one over paying for one, but curious what everyone might consider the best way to implement without blocking the skimmer materially.

My experience with the reefer series have left me always feeling like the fuge compartment is far to small. If I could have a much larger fuge then I would prefer it for sure.

The extra sump add on doesn’t get a good enough amount of flow based on some opinions I reading as well. :/

You could always go with an algae reactor... or go a different direction with nutrient control, which could be a little of this a little of that but not relying on a single point to do everything.

But this is your new build? Beastly looking.

I have run an algae scrubber for many years on my 200G system, and before on a 50G system.
DIY waterfall type.

Done right, there is less spray and humidity than a skimmer because it can be fairly well sealed.
Done right, and it can really reduce nitrates and to some extent phosphates.
Done wrong, and it can create and endless mess for your tank. Starving corals, turning water yellow, etc.

So my advice:
1) If you plan to have a lot of fish, seriously consider it, but do your research carefully.
2) This is one piece of equipment you do NOT want to oversize.

I like to think of it this way.
An ATS is like adding a supercharger to your car.
Does it work .... very well. But is it a good idea.... ???

I like to think of it this way.
An ATS is like adding a supercharger to your car.
Does it work .... very well. But is it a good idea.... ???
Agreed, but I employ the heavy in heavy out approach with all my tanks. I know sizing is incredibly important, but that combined with how to implement a DIY waterfall with that sump is a bit of a challenge.

Back