Jestersix

Adding filter ... Tee off Return line or Tee off Drain line? Or use a pump?

I bought an ATS filter and am puzzling over the best way to add it to the system. The simplest would be to add yet another pump to the system, but that costs power, however, I do have pumps I can use. Then I could use either the return pump and put a T in the line to steal flow from it, or tee off a drain line. At first I thought I would direct a drain line into it, but if it clogs, thats a lot of trouble Adding a Tee would allow adding a line without fear of slowing the drains or clogging them. Teeing to the return pump would be less risky, it would of course slow circulation flow back to the tank, but it would also probably increase slightly the time that the water contacts the filter since it's recirculating sump water if I'm stealing flow from the return pump.

Here's what I think;

Separate pump
============
Pros:
- Easy to plumb without disturbing current return or drain lines
- Easier maintenance ... can remove pump and filter without disturbing any thing else
- No added risk of overflowing tank
- not dependant on return pump flow
- still works if return pump is off

Cons:
- Adds to the power consumption of the tank
- Clutters sump with another pump

Tee off Drain line
=============
Pros:
- No extra pump to add

Cons:
- Have to cut into current drain line (hard PVC pipe) to add another branch
- Might add point of leaking
- A clog may or may not cause a leak, though it it's a T I don't see this happening
- flow depends on drain speed/return pump

Tee off Return pump
===============
Pros:
- Currently pump is connected to vinyl hose so adding a branch is just cutting hose, and sticking on barbed T
- No extra pump to add
- More or less equivalent to a using a smaller return pump and filter pump sort of

Cons:
- Reduces circulation flow from sump to main display
- If the return pump is off, so is the filter supply
- Possibility maybe of the line to the filter actually acting as a venturi and sucking air into the line versus pushing water out the line ?? The Tee would have to run with the pump on the center part of Tee I guess.

Having written it out, I'm now sort of leaning to adding a pump for now.

Is there anything I've forgotten? Well, I'm sure there is, but any other thoughts?

V

I would add "easy to tune flow" to the pros of an individual pump.

Individual pump or a pump dedicated to reactors would be my choice. I wouldn't want to mess with the returns or drains. Too many risks and tuning issues.

My vote is to use the return pump. That is what I have done by building a manifold with valves which allows volume control.

Yeah, I should have built a proper manifold, even if it was just a long piece of PVC covered with T's and valves.

Sounds like extra pump or tap off return pump might be better than drain line.

V

I would vote separate pump unless you aren't running your return at 100% and have head room to accomodate qnd offset loss of flow.

I teed off to provide flow to my lil 5G frag and found it to be problematic and inconvenient since i had to adjust flow in DT to get waterline i wanted and silence the drain...

Separate pump solved that and made everything worry free

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Man, I wish Home Depot had more plumbing fitting choices! I'm going to take a coffee break today and check out if "Outdoor Supply Hardware" is as good as "Orchard Supply Hardware" when it comes to PVC bits and pieces.

V

Yes, irrigation supply house is your best bet. Youlo have no problem finding anything you need Including fittings that you never knew existed.

Definitely Separate pump.

1) You will have to clean it every week.
It is real easy if you can just turn the pump off and clean things.
It might be a real pain if it requires various valves.

2) The water openings in an ATS change as algae grows and clogs things weekly.
With a pump, that is no big issue. Pressure rises a bit, but flow remains about the same.
With a Tee, that means flow starts going to main tank instead.
Messes with tuning, and may really reduce water flow on ATS.

I have heard of people plumbing it into their overflow to sump plumbing and let gravity be the pump.

I went with a dedicated pump for my scrubber.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Man, I wish Home Depot had more plumbing fitting choices! I'm going to take a coffee break today and check out if "Outdoor Supply Hardware" is as good as "Orchard Supply Hardware" when it comes to PVC bits and pieces.

V
Lowes has better selection i find...

Thanks guys....sounding like separate pump. I'll like into the irrigation stores.

Mostly, the fittings I need are to plumb in a pump (I have a Mag2 sitting around, it has 1/2" female npt output) to the input of this scrubber, which has options, the easiest being 3/4" hose barb. But if I can find a 1" pvc to 1/2" hose barb that would work too.

I might dig around and see what other pumps I have available. I was thinking of a 3/4" T from my 3/4" return line, but now I'm leaning towards the separate pump.

V

Back