Neptune Aquatics

All About Fish in Pleasant Hill is closing

Just wanted to let all the East Bay reefers know if they hadn't heard already. He is selling display tanks, plumbing... everything's gotta go. I think the are starting to do the deep discounts beginning to mid September. No livestock discounted right now, but will let everyone know when he starts to really liquidate.

Thanks for letting us know. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with AAF and Tatao the owner for many years. Always a loss to the hobby to have an LFS close regardless. Any talk of one of his longtime employees continuing it or anything along those lines?

I have a credit there, I better go check out what they have still before it becomes worthless. Presumably they won’t be ordering anything new.

Yeah.. I haven’t heard what the guys will do yet. I’m 5 minutes from there so that’s a go to when I need a few minutes of me time. Happy for him though.

I had this crazy thought the other day.. how great would it be to have a co-op for Reefers in that space? Open to the public every couple of weekends but a space to have some monster tanks!! Just dreaming of livin the dream.

Glad to hear he's retiring, not happy to hear they're closing their doors. This was my first lfs, in fact they're the reason I got into salt the first time around 07. If I hadn't moved out to Hercules when I did they'd probably still be my go to for livestock. It's be nice if Diablo Corals can expand to full the gap out there.

Glad to hear he's retiring, not happy to hear they're closing their doors. This was my first lfs, in fact they're the reason I got into salt the first time around 07. If I hadn't moved out to Hercules when I did they'd probably still be my go to for livestock. It's be nice if Diablo Corals can expand to full the gap out there.

Me too. Bought all my FW equipment & livestock back in the day. Same with my pond. Been going there for years.. those guys have some legit knowledge for sure.

But yes.. so happy CaliKid is in Clayton, further drive for me but worth the drive. Cos has hooked me up a number of times with food & some fish. Diablo is ok.. just wish they carried more equipment.

At least calikid is there now

I checked them out a month or two ago -- wasn't overly impressed.

But I'm still spoiled from when I used to drive by Neptunes on the way home from work when they were in Milpitas.

Out of everything in the east bay right now, I'll drive down to Aquatic Collection in Hayward as my go-to.

Calikid had some nice stuff.. and a clean store for what that is worth. But it was effectively 4 smallish frag tanks and everything was on the pricier side which is great for people who want to spend. I always prefer the sub $30 frag racks :) Its also effectively out in the middle of nowhere being in Clayton. Its 10 miles from me.. and nearly 30 minutes.

Unfortunate that we lost Aquarium Concepts in Dublin to the fire then whatever drama followed that. There is this SJReef thing in Dublin that I've been meaning to check out.

Honestly the best coral "store" in the East Bay is Mike's house in Livermore. And he's in the process of moving out of state unfortunately. Awesome prices and great selection across the entire price spectrum from 5$ frags to higher end SPS.

I stopped by AAF today and picked up a nice trachy, used up my remaining store credit. It’s kinda sad to see the place winding down after 3 decades in the business.

I asked and he said none of the long time employees wanted to buy in to it to keep it going, even at a really minimal buy in.

Thanks for the heads up. I also have credit there. I’d Better get down there. Agree that closing is not great for the hobby. Ive had a few students go there for their own little group aquarium field trips and In the past they had some cool pond stuff too.

They still have some nice ish stuff in the more expensive range. $130-$300+.

Just grabbed an elegance coral that was in decent shape.

Biggest issue has always been that the coral health generally is questionable.

PXL_20210815_001941122.MP.jpg

Kind of on par with the health of a lot of things. Unfortunately.

This one seemed generally healthy except for the tissue recession (Polyp bailout?) on the left and the bleaching.

Never had an elegance before but have had it on mind for a while that I'd like one so I snagged this.

General shot of what they had in one of the racks

PXL_20210814_231823383.jpg

View attachment 30571

This one seemed generally healthy except for the tissue recession (Polyp bailout?) on the left and the bleaching.

Never had an elegance before but have had it on mind for a while that I'd like one so I snagged this.

View attachment 30572
Oh - I think I saw you get it - I was in hedgehog shirt across the tank w/ husband. Sorry I didn’t say hello at all. Did you see the huge elegance at the far end? wow!

Awesome. I wondered when I was walking out and saw you mentioning the credit.

I got the small one at the front of that tank you all were looking in.

The big one in their holding tank was giant, not enough space for that!

View attachment 30571

View attachment 30572

The trachy I got earlier today was on the right side of your second pic, where there is an empty pvc holder :)

It is a more pastel color than in this pic I snapped from my iPhone with no filter when I was showing it to my wife before purchase:

1628993931913.jpeg

Nice!

Ya there was another one with some cool colors in the middle of my pic. I'm not familiar enough with the coral so was hard to tell if that was the actual coloration or if it was bleaching.

Back