Cali Kid Corals

ALL IN ONE SUMP ADVICE

Schmitty

Supporting Member
Ok so I got a little problem and wondering what you all think is best way to go about it. So I have a 40g NUVO all in one with the built in sump in the back of tank. It allows for one return pump in the middle and the far ends has room for a sock or a basket which you can have filter and carbon etc in, or a protein skimmer etc... So til recently I ran protein skimmer on one side and basket on the other with floss on the top and carbon/gfo in the middle... Then I had a cyano problem and seemed to fix it with the purchase of a UV Filter which replaced the basket and I would just lay the carbon back in the middle chamber above the return pump which felt not as neat and also not sure if was getting as much water flow through it ... anyways, I got everything goin nicely and took out the uv filter so I could put the basket with carbon/gfo back in and now the tank doesnt seem like it's doing as well, Im about to put the UV Filter back in and see if that improves but do you guys have any suggestions for what I should go with as a standard. Just seems like with a protein skimmer and uv filter on the sides where the over flow goes I dont have anything to catch stuff really and prvent the coluns from accumulating lots of debris and junk... Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any advice!

Which skimmer are you using? Are you able to move the skimmer to one of the middle chambers?
69B672DA-D1D2-4CD4-9797-2EC1AEC98A4E.jpeg

Are you sure it’s not the 9002 skimmer? I don’t think the rear chambers on a Nuvo 40 is wide enough to accommodate the 9004.

If it is the 9002 skimmer you can do the magnet relocate mod and it should fit.
I also have a Kessil arm clamped to the middle, probes on one side and dosing on the other side and from what I remember if I put the skimmer in the inner chambers then there's bubbles getting shot out of the return into the tank... I think youre right, it is the 9002

Wow you have lots of equipment in the rear chambers. Is the sponge on the bottom of the 9002 installed? That helps reduce the micro bubbles.

I've never been a fan of the 9002, since I've only been able to get it to skimmer wet. If you are in the market for a new skimmer check out the IceCap K1 Nano I've used it on a 25 Lagoon which has similar rear chamber dimensions as the Nuvo40 and a few other nano tanks and it's much easier to adjust.

Yeah I believe the skimmer could be a problem, it’s always fluctuating and I think it doesn’t do as well of job as it should. I’ll look into the icecap

I have the 20G Nuvo with the tunze 9002, did the magnet mod for mount it sideways, seems like it’s working well. Bit messy with the tubings
DF8CE9AB-B102-40DD-9F5A-92041B269975.jpeg

Back