Our mission

Anemone on powerhead?

borker

Supporting Member
Hey everyone. Need some pretty urgent advice. I picked up Jeff’s clowns and anemone yesterday. I drip acclimated and introduced in a medium flow area. The anemone moved around a bit but was fine.

Overnight I cycle off 2 power heads for variability and this morning found the nem ‘stuck’ to it while it’s on. Good thing I caught it because I don’t always check before evening.

However, I’ve never been in this situation
3cd1434544c1dd7e2b8609d6075ac66f.jpg

and I’m not sure what to do...

Anyone with experience and how to prevent this in future?

Pictures attached.
4fb96d73af8d15ab05e034562da6583f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move it ASAP unless you want a blended anemone. You’ll want to get it situated on a rock and should consider covering your power heads if keeping BTAs in there. Even once attached, they’re prone to wander and somehow always find their way into power heads/pumps/anywhere you don’t want them. ;)

For those getting this in the future:
1) Turn the powerhead off ASAP. This is how nems become spaghetti. You're actually very lucky to have caught it this late.
2) If you can, coax it off gently. If not, you just need to wait. If it is part way through the grate it's often better to let them crawl out on their own.
3) Foam the power heads (or accept the risk, your call).
4) Be aware that they tend to crawl through overflow grates too, although it is less common. Most people accept that risk and either fish them out of the sump or put a foam baffle somewhere in the sump.

The best way to prevent this, is to not keep btas... now you see one of them many reasons I don’t keep them.
Kinda like the only real way to prevent stds

I describe them like that one crazy attractive person you once knew. Very attractive, generally calm, every now and they they feel the need to run around and sting/kill everything within reach, generally something else you really like.

Lol thanks ya’ll. I’m gonna try and move it and see if I can cover my powerheads in panty hose.

I’ve never had too much trouble with nems but I only had condys before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A healthy nem should be able to find a nice place for it to feel secure. BTA’s like a ledge with a crevice to make the foot feel safe from predators. Then they stretch out for the light.

I have found that the type of rock you put them on matters also.
You want something with tons of crevices and spikes, so they can retreat if needed, and hold on well.
And give them their own space, so they are not battling other corals.

Fiji Tatoka maybe. Although rock labeling is worse than coral labeling.

Back