Kessil

Apex pro out there?

Galoot

Supporting Member
So with the upgrade, I decided to purchase an Apex. Now I need help programming it all! Any pros out there want to advise me? I willing to compensate you for your time[emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am interested in learning more as well. If enough others are interested, my hope is that this might become a meeting topic/presentation one month once we resume meetings.

I’m not sure how long you guys have been members, but we had a class/presentation ALL about Apex usage and tips/tricks. It was given by Bar member @Vhuang168 and @jonmos75 who currently works for Neptune systems.
If fact, if I recall right, Terrance Fugazzi also gave BAR a presentation a few years ago.
Maybe if we ask nicely, he’d be willing to give us another class.

Last edited:
I agree, I thought the last session was very useful and had discussed with Vincent about having another this year, before all this canceled our plans. Certainly we can look into it again once we can have meetings again.

Last edited:
I agree, I thought the last session was very useful and had discussed with a Vincent about having another this year, before all this canceled our plans. Certainly we can look into it again once we can have meetings again.

We can always do a web meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm open to any and all help, whatever form it would come in. I'm not looking to do anything crazy with it. Just want to make sure all the alerts, default on/off, timers, "if this/then", etc...are setup correctly. and if anyone can get the salinty probe to calibrate, I'd owe ya one!

Most of these items can be done through task. It’s more or less walks you through the best practices setup for you. Same with calibration and etc.

I’m happy to do a web meeting with you to walk you through this.

Would definitely be interested in some full training through APEX though. Hopefully they can include some advance configuration stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up on the salinity probe after one month. I only use it as a relative measure. If it stays straight with little peaks before the ato kicks in, I call it good. If it starts to deviate, I go looking for a problem and measure salinity with the Milwaukee and a refractometer. The other day, after it dropped, I discovered that my skimmer had filled up the cup.

I would only set fallback to on for the return pump and heater. The rest should be off. It would be bad if the heater sticks on during a fallback event, but that chance is very slim.

It’s important to run the return pump task that sets up power usage alerts - this can save your return pump and your livestock, but is somewhat hidden.

Make sure you configure alert recipients.

Do things that will generate alerts to make sure they’re working.

I set up a maintenance virtual output that shuts down almost everything. Can show you how.

Turn on heartbeats.

If you have UV, make sure the lamp is off when the pump is off and make sure it turns on a few minutes after the pump.

Reactions: JVU
I would not program any function or trigger depending on the apex salinity prob. An alarm at most...
Use it as stated before, as an indication only..

Last edited:
Ok, need some help. The Auto Top Off has just stopped working out of the blue. I didn't touch a thing. The bucket did run out of water. I refilled it and topped off the tank back to the lower sensor level. It never ran again once the water dropped below it. I also tried unplugging everything and reinstalling it through fusion. Still nothing. WTF!?! if someone can help me out that'd be great. Shoot me a text at 650-784-4008 if you can talk!

thx,
Chris

ATK, I figured it out. Not sure how to explain it, thought everything was right, because it had been working just fine. but the output on the EB labelled ATOPump was set to auto. Then at the very bottom of the dashboard I found one named ATO that was set to off. Don't ever remember seeing that. Moved it to "Auto" a few seconds latter, it was pumping water. I'm guessing that was the failsafe of running dry for a bit? IDK. Anyways, working now so all good

The ATK will switch itself from auto to off when it runs into an error. Did it raise an alarm? If not, make sure you have line 2 (see pic) in your email alarm configuration.

5b2059ea2b9194505ab77e2a94aa0612.jpg

Ya I was getting the alarms. I was at work the last four days. My wife filled the bucket. I thought it would try to run every so often. I had her fill the return chamber back to the full level, but that didn't trigger it either. At least I noticed the switch was off. I know for next time if this every happens again

If you take screenshots or pics of what you’d like help on, it makes troubleshooting a lot easier.

Are these sliders you are talking about?

1591650879601.png

They are manually set by you. All your programming only runs if you have it set to “Auto”, if you have it set to “Off” or “On” it will override the programming. Hope that helps.

Ok, so it turned itself off again. Twice this morning. Got to be something in the code, right? Should line 2 read Set ON?
ce243f7b85f6e0c79e35b1754e54dd17.jpg
00ca20927f6f8611af80fcbf720b8f60.jpg

I did a google search on your issue and came up with this informative thread:

I didn’t know this, but it sounds like the sliders can be changed manually and by “when” statements. So the culprit is likely your when statement. Either it is just too short for your needs, or is signaling something wrong with your pump/tubing/etc that makes it so that it can’t finish topping off within 5 min. Also I’m not familiar with the way you are using the muliple defer and min time statements, so there may be a conflict there worth checking out.

Back