Kessil

Ashburn's 187g endgame II

ok Im trying something different this time with 1/2" DO tube instead of tiny air line tubes. let see if this ph will keep up with bigger airflow from outside this time

so to document co2 scrubber improvement via apex.

Before I add the scrubber
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 4.10.32 PM.png

After the scrubber,
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 4.09.08 PM.png

Alk intake graph against ph graph
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 4.11.01 PM.png

water changed

water parameter after the WC
ph: 8.11
Alk: 8.16
CA: 451
MG: 1298

finally removed sand bed in front of the tank, will just leave the sand in the back alone as is.

ok doesn't look like there's a terribly large correlation between alkalinity and pH from that graph. Maybe the amount you dose is based on how much is getting used up? i.e. Trident is controlling the dosing?

ok doesn't look like there's a terribly large correlation between alkalinity and pH from that graph. Maybe the amount you dose is based on how much is getting used up? i.e. Trident is controlling the dosing?

Apex doesn’t control dosing, it’s all CarX does the dosing at .5ml/min all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can see as the ph goes up the Alk goes down, alternatively as the ph goes down the alk goes up. Since hes using a CaRX with constant flow, the assumption is there is more alk consumption at higher ph (alk measurement goes down because of consistent replenishment.) This could also be related to light cycle (both alk numbers and ph numbers) i have noticed very similar results though. when ph stays more consistent, alk stays more consistent.

I mean don't get me wrong, I totally understand the pH/alk relationship, but just look at July 10, there's a mini-spike (before CO2 scrubber I think) of about 7.8 pH and the alk is just over 8.01 in a deep valley, then June 14th when he probably added the scrubber pH peaks at 8.16 but alk barely drops at all to 8.26, then the next two days at the high pH point there is a massive dip in alkalinity that you'd probably expect from higher pH. But if you look at his earlier graphs post #325 3rd graph, in later days the dips once again aren't as big, but not as small as the first. So some theories that come to mind

1: I'm over analyzing this data (this one is a given) :)
2: The accuracy of the Trident is suspect
3: Corals maybe grow in spurts within spurts, when lights are on obviously, but maybe some days they simply stop growing as much as others
4: Maybe he pulled out some sps on those days so demand on alk decreased

Either way, it's interesting to say the least.

Always interesting to see sand removed and the bottom part of the rocks are very white/light colored compared to the very dark rocks that were above the sand line, really gives you perspective to how much stuff has grown on them.

I mean don't get me wrong, I totally understand the pH/alk relationship, but just look at July 10, there's a mini-spike (before CO2 scrubber I think) of about 7.8 pH and the alk is just over 8.01 in a deep valley, then June 14th when he probably added the scrubber pH peaks at 8.16 but alk barely drops at all to 8.26, then the next two days at the high pH point there is a massive dip in alkalinity that you'd probably expect from higher pH. But if you look at his earlier graphs post #325 3rd graph, in later days the dips once again aren't as big, but not as small as the first. So some theories that come to mind

1: I'm over analyzing this data (this one is a given) :)
2: The accuracy of the Trident is suspect
3: Corals maybe grow in spurts within spurts, when lights are on obviously, but maybe some days they simply stop growing as much as others
4: Maybe he pulled out some sps on those days so demand on alk decreased

Either way, it's interesting to say the least.
I noticed from the trident that changing nutrient levels also significantly affects ALK consumption (peaks and dips) due to growth

Back