High Tide Aquatics

Ashburn's 187g endgame tank

DBTC sand poop is Hui's jam. ;)

I actually inherited brown sand from someone else's broken down tank before. It was pretty brown but cleared up with some heavy filtering / skimming and resettling. I definitely regretted it and should have just started clean (it was my first tank ever).

you could clean the sand out before reuse. - get shifter, but not clean it in the tank as they said. Small Buckets

Cleaning sand is fine. Bucket + Hose. Small amounts at a time. Rinses out fairly easily.
And it is not like new sand is perfect either, with all the dust

You can get mesh strainers for 5g buckets at any paint shop.
Put sand in one, set it in a 5g bucket and hose it till all the poop overflows the bucket; pull the strainer with the clean sand and let it air dry in the mesh bag.
That’s how we used to clean sand.

I can’t believe you dropped that beautifully crafted tank onto that pile of sticks. Really man, if you don’t care enough to put any work into the structural base of your system you should think about passing that (free?) tank onto someone else who cares enough to do it right. Or start over - there are folks on here who can help a lot with woodworking or even just you know, planning the design so you don’t destroy the tank. I know my wood canopy would not be so nice if it weren’t for the help from people on this forum who had better know-how and tools than me.

All that stand has to do is hold up that tank
The inhabitants of that aquarium don’t care about what that stand looks like
Ask my fish...they’re over 10 years old and they’ve never mentioned it once

I can’t believe you dropped that beautifully crafted tank onto that pile of sticks. Really man, if you don’t care enough to put any work into the structural base of your system you should think about passing that (free?) tank onto someone else who cares enough to do it right. Or start over - there are folks on here who can help a lot with woodworking or even just you know, planning the design so you don’t destroy the tank. I know my wood canopy would not be so nice if it weren’t for the help from people on this forum who had better know-how and tools than me.

Lol.
There is a beautiful custom furniture grade stand that comes with the tank. The stand is a piece of art. :)

Last edited:
All that stand has to do is hold up that tank
The inhabitants of that aquarium don’t care about what that stand looks like
Ask my fish...they’re over 10 years old and they’ve never mentioned it once
Why not a Rubbermaid lagoon then? :) I’m worried about the structural integrity of that stand, flat bottomed tanks should be supported on a piece of plywood and maybe a mat inbetween. Is the tank bottom fused to starboard or something that gives it more support?

Thanks everyone for your concern, thanks to @sfsuphysics for his advices, stand has been added some more structure support along the side of the rim with 2x4. plumbing was done, old sump was decommissioned last night, and everything has been routed to the new sump.

The beauty of this club is how everyone can double check everything we do.

One of these days I'll have to make it over to your place Hui to check out the setup!

Finally got everything moved in last week, but it wasn't without some casualty. I put some fishes with rocks into my 32g brute with heater and mp40 with mesh cover ( i had some nems on the rocks that I'm not going to bother remove. and the day before I moved the animals back, noticing all my fishes got wiped out but the large goldbar maroon is still alive and kicking ( they were alive and eating gthe day before). turns out that my mesh cover came off and one of the nem walked into my mp40 and caused ammonia spike and killed the fishes in the brute. now looking back, i wish I would just dump all my fishes in the frank tank despite how over crowed it is, at least no one is going to die because a nem deiced to commit suicide.

now i'm down 4 chromis, a yellow tang ( had it for over a year now and it was getting big and fat ), starry blenny, male goldbar.

some corals moved in, still moving stuff around to get best placement/flow

moving on with a updated tank shot.

0f2ae1810055dcb811fcaf28f5f904b2.jpg

ba65417294bf78b073258df0d179e139.jpg

Wouldnt be surprised if the nem walking into the pump didnt cause an ammonia spike but instead the stinging cells of the anemone got chopped up and spread through the water affecting everything but the one fish that is used to them. that is the true danger of anemone getting stuck in a power head

Back