High Tide Aquatics

Ashburn's 187g endgame tank

Yes, using a pH probe that gets calibrated every month.
This is one of the reasons I’ve been avoiding using a carx. It’s such a crucial part of the life support of the tank so if the probe drifts it can be detrimental. I don’t know if I want to commit to monthly calibration. How much do you typically have to adjust it each month?

When I was monitoring the dt I’d be lucky if I recalibrated every 6 months but then it didn’t really matter.

This is one of the reasons I’ve been avoiding using a carx. It’s such a crucial part of the life support of the tank so if the probe drifts it can be detrimental. I don’t know if I want to commit to monthly calibration. How much do you typically have to adjust it each month?

When I was monitoring the dt I’d be lucky if I recalibrated every 6 months but then it didn’t really matter.

The way I have it setup, it is not really controlled by the pH. If the inflow and injection of the CO2 is constant, the pH will be maintained at that level. The only way it would change is if the either of those parameters change or the pH of the tank changes dramatically. I do not have the Apex control the pH. Only control it has is on the solenoid if it drops drastically (set to turn off when below 6.4).

The key factors in a setup like this is consistency and reliability of the input and the CO2 injection. Hence the Masterflex and the custom CO2 reg with metering valve.

The pH is only there for monitoring. If I see a drastic change, something is wrong.

The way I have it setup, it is not really controlled by the pH. If the inflow and injection of the CO2 is constant, the pH will be maintained at that level. The only way it would change is if the either of those parameters change or the pH of the tank changes dramatically. I do not have the Apex control the pH. Only control it has is on the solenoid if it drops drastically (set to turn off when below 6.4).

The key factors in a setup like this is consistency and reliability of the input and the CO2 injection. Hence the Masterflex and the custom CO2 reg with metering valve.

The pH is only there for monitoring. If I see a drastic change, something is wrong.
Yeah, I would never be able to trust controlling one off a ph probe. Just wouldn't be able to sleep.

Y the probe is only to see the drifts once dialed in there isn't much drift unless probe goes bad. A stuck on solenoid on a co2 isn't going to nuke your tank as the regulator only lets out so much gas per sec with the metering valve. A stuck on doser is another issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

and your ph reading is at 6.5-6.8? guess i need to stick my ph probe in this weekend.

If you have an Apex or pH standalone controller, you set it to shut the CO2 at 6.5 You want to keep the chamber at 6.6 6.7
To calibrate for a CaRx, use pH solutions 4 and 7
Once you have it dialed in, just watch it amaze you.

I would forget the ph probe. Nice metering valve is all you need. I think I have a bunch of hoke valves if anyone needs one. Got them a long time ago very cheap.

I would forget the ph probe. Nice metering valve is all you need. I think I have a bunch of hoke valves if anyone needs one. Got them a long time ago very cheap.

PH probe is useful for monitoring. If your feed pump or intake line gets clogged, the pH will continue to drop and turn your media to mush.

Finally released this guy into my DT from the holding tank.

Saw it was suffering at petclub and had to take him home.
ce156877f1111f7abbb793991537a2e1.jpg

edit: some new corals names for documentary

dbtc: german blue digi from @RandyC
superman monti
christmas tree worm
green porites
CRC rainbow acro
efflo acro
green milli

Pink Diamonds zoa
Spiderman zoa

Last edited:
I almost never have to recalibrate PH probes. I do occasionally, but PH almost never moves afterwards.

I more often have to CLEAN the PH probes when some crud grows or gets stuck on them.

I also seem to have to recalibrate due to battery level on the pinpoint PH meter.

--

Salinity probes on the other hand ... argh!

masterflex in place! Thanks @xcaret!
Waiting for 1/2 to1/4 barb reducer to arrive. How do you guys connect the soft tube to ro tube?

cc9861fb5cd3dbec00528eab1d33ec02.jpg

I tried the tubing section I got; by the numbers, is the same as you have and the RO line fits right inside it, just a couple zip ties to secure it snuggly.

Back