Jestersix

Bacteria Question

Hey All. I am wanting to change my aqua scape on my 13.5 gallon. I would need to remove 1 of the 2 rocks that are in there. Would that mess up the cycle, as the bacteria on that rock would be removed? Or, if I use live rock, will that keep everything in check? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my guess is YES it may disturb your cycle. But, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You might experience a “mini cycle” after your new aquascape is done. The tank should settle down in no time.

my guess is YES it may disturb your cycle. But, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You might experience a “mini cycle” after your new aquascape is done. The tank should settle down in no time.

Sounds good. Do you recommend live rock?

Hey All. I am wanting to change my aqua scape on my 13.5 gallon. I would need to remove 1 of the 2 rocks that are in there. Would that mess up the cycle, as the bacteria on that rock would be removed? Or, if I use live rock, will that keep everything in check? Thanks!

This makes it sound like your tank is cycling right now, but that’s not the case is it?

Ah... reread your post. so depends on your load and how much you plan to remove.

If you have sand, then probably negligible impact. The bacteria in your system usually settles at an equilibrium point based on available nutrients.

They come and go in numbers proportional to this... or switch between anaerobic or aerobic population mixes.

If your tank is well cycled and you are not removing drastic amounts of cycled material while loading up on more fish, then you're good. There will be enough buffer to manage...

Ah... reread your post. so depends on your load and how much you plan to remove.

If you have sand, then probably negligible impact. The bacteria in your system usually settles at an equilibrium point based on available nutrients.

They come and go in numbers proportional to this... or switch between anaerobic or aerobic population mixes.

If your tank is well cycled and you are not removing drastic amounts of cycled material while loading up on more fish, then you're good. There will be enough buffer to manage...

Thank you for your detailed response! Definitely makes sense now. Appreciate it!

Back