Kessil

BARcode promotional video - call for help

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I'd like to begin promoting BARcode to get us more members and teach the rest of the world about DBTC. A good way to start is by creating a video of BARcode in use.

Unfortunately, our database is not visually stunning...yet.

So, I'm going to create a demo version of BARcode but I need your help: I need about 2 dozen high quality pictures with coral names I can use to populate this database. I'd do it myself but all my pictures are s***t...

Here is an example of what I mean: https://barcode.bareefers.org/frag/33 (@Chromis - you're awesome)
They don't have to be high-end pieces, just really good pictures. GSP is pretty photogenic...

I'll take a stab at setting up a parallel BARcode universe, so you can contribute to it directly - but please let me know if you have great pictures readily available. Of course, they need to belong to you - not lifted from the internet.

I just uploaded a few but it looks like the pictures are getting compressed and losing their quality. Or I have bad pictures :eek:
The polyps are really crisp on my phone but don’t look so good when uploaded. I’m curious how it’ll look on this post

83E3A9B9-C96E-4DCD-9DA6-F4957DD6CEC3.png
D139A08A-EC5F-48DE-A5AE-A73C89C197A4.jpeg

Thanks, those are great! They do get resized when they are uploaded - so that may be the difference. We have the originals on the server too, so I can get rid of the resized ones and just serve the originals.
When I’m uploading (on an iPhone) it gives me an option to reduce the size. Would it be better if I do the compression before uploading? Original size is 3.7 mb on them.

When I’m uploading (on an iPhone) it gives me an option to reduce the size. Would it be better if I do the compression before uploading? Original size is 3.7 mb on them.

The server will resize it to 375x300 px regardless. So, in general, I would say no - so that the server has the best possible original.

I’m going to add a full-screen photo browser at some point - and that will use the originals.

I noticed that when I uploaded photos to BARcode it seemed lower res and with some loss of sharpness when it posted the image on the site vs what it is in my phone or if I post it to the thread myself. I think.

I noticed that when I uploaded photos to BARcode it seemed lower res and with some loss of sharpness when it posted the image on the site vs what it is in my phone or if I post it to the thread myself. I think.

Yes, they get resized when they are uploaded and there’s a little quality loss. But they go from MB to KB for faster download when you’re browsing BARcode.

Back