Neptune Aquatics

Best automatic fish feeders?

Chromis

Supporting Member
What automatic fish feeders do you all use? I’m scoping out the Neptune apex and accessories. There is a pricey $100 Apex feeder that has mixed reviews online. I’m planning to feed the smaller 1mm pellets. Does anyone have a clever way to detect a faulty fish feeder while they’re away (like if too much food dumped in would you see a pH dip)? I’m trying to figure out what good it is to control a feeder through an Apex when most of the feeders have built in timers anyway.

Ehiem. As to clever, if you have an apex feeder AND a camera on our tank (and they are so cheap you should), you can feed remotely with the Apex and watch to make sure it's working. Obviously it will feed as programmed most of the time, but you can check it once every few days remotely.

Apex for my application since it can feed more than 4x a day. Food gets dumped into the TLF magnetic feeding ring, which is a blend of various sized pellets (NLS 1mm pellets, TDO chroma small, PE pellets 1mm & 2mm, newVision pellet/flake, otohime s1/s2, dki marine 0.8mm pellets, Dainichi Reef Veggie Fx with cyclopeeze small sinking).

The Eheims can only max out at 4x a day so if you feed more than 4x a day then you'll need more than one Eheim.

I really like my apex feeder. The Neptune crossover diet is the only pellet food my fish will ever eat. First time it went in, they went nuts just like frozen food. My mandarin even eats it.

Eheim is the way to go... i have tried many. None works as well. If youbgo eheim, be sure to tape the door in place just in case as others have advised me after my work tank fiasco

Eheim all the way.
Cost
Simple
Trustworthy / As mentioned, tape the door into the position you want. Test it a few times - Less is more...

I used them for a long time but feeding manually forces me to look at the tank(s)...

i have an eheim for my school tank but haven't played with it. I only have two fish in the tank right now...can i make it feed on the weekends without overfeeding?

i go in on the weekends and would rather not

The Eheim feeder would feed every day it's set up. Can't program it for specific days. That said, your fish are just fine not being fed for a few days. Extended weekends, use the feeder, or use the feeder full-time.

Back