Cali Kid Corals

Best sump ever?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
These guys seem to have thought of everything with regards to sumps. Any thoughts on why they’re not under every tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opening on the top looks smaller than a standard sump. Also, the white sides makes it difficult to see inside without putting your head into the cabinet. Those two things would make me worry that cleaning and maintenance would be a pain once these are installed under a tank.

While I like, or used to like, their tanks (required cost for free shipping has increased quite a bit over the years), their "add ons" leave something to be desired for. Sump, Overflow system, etc.

That said, what about them makes you like them so much?
a

That said, what about them makes you like them so much?
a

It seems like they have put a lot of thought into their sump and overflow systems - and they are designed to avoid disasters and reduce maintenance. The systems seem less “fragile” than what I see in most people’s tanks. Granted, I have little experience.

In my mind, a sump and overflow should be efficient, effective and safe above all else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t imagine having a sump/refugium I can’t see into from the front, and that I have restricted access to from the top. Sounds like a recipe for neglect of maintenance.

I haven't cleaned my sump in four years. See through from side not a requirement for me. ;)

I don’t like having bulkheads in my sump. Scary enough to have them from the tank. Especially in an area where I could bump them.

Hmm, not a fan.
First, as above, it really helps to be clear to see in, even just for a status check, not maintenance.

But worse are those pipes and bulkheads connecting the sections.
Every bulkhead is a chance for leaks. Why add more than is needed.

I guess any seam is a potential point it can leak, but I’ve had several leaks from bulkheads and zero leaks from seams. It seems (ha, unintended pun) like they’re trying to fix a problem with a worse one. I do like the modular nature of it though. Personally, I could get used to not seeing in it from the sides and the rim around the top is a minor issue to me too. Most of the high end sumps have similar tops anyway.

sorry to be tardy...
looks like some over engineered B.S.
I don't know if it's over engineered, it but it definitely seems like a solution done by a company who's barely into the aquarium building industry (I remember when these first came out when they were relatively young as a company) to make sure that you buy everything from them. Injection molded plastic to make a "sump" yup! Buy from us! Single pipe overflow with big "gutter" on the end" Yup! Buy from us it's better!

My sump is a 29G glass tank with a sterlite plastic tub in it. Don't worry, it's just temporary. I mean, 10 years is temporary in the great scheme of things.

V

Back