Jestersix

Best way to reduce pod population?

Any suggestions for getting rid of or at least controlling pod population? Without using a fish (taking the shelter order seriously)....

My wild nem tank experienced a pod explosion... which for most people would be a good thing. However in my case, the pods have gotten to be so aggressive and out of hand that they wind up killing my nems and some zoas.

I've seen pods in my tank irritate the nems, and then gnaw away at it from the inside. There are armies of them living inside the mouths of nems... perhaps the nem is stressed and pods are sensing this, and doing their thing but it does not help nems recover and heal the least. And instead stressing them more, which effective creates a rapid downward spiral.

I took one of my nems and put it in a quick melafix dip... at least 15 pods scattered out of it's mouth. And, this is all after I shaken off the swarm between the tentacles.

There's only a pair of clowns in the 50G tank that are lightly fed... so nutrient wise, it's minimal...

Perhaps it's the crush coral bed I use that makes foster pods to flourish freely in the display area?

They’ve gotta be eating something so think about what that is and try to regulate it.
Could try a small wrasse or mandarin or scooter blend to eat them

I want to say... Interceptor if you have it. I know it kills red bugs but thought it also zapped pretty much any pod too, and is reef safe. But not certain on that, and most people don't keep that handy.

Normally, I would run out for a mandarin since I love them... and haven't replace the one I lost in another tank. But given the current conditions, prefer to stay in (and won't fly with the wife about running to a fish store). So trying to find fishless ideas...

I want to say... Interceptor if you have it. I know it kills red bugs but thought it also zapped pretty much any pod too, and is reef safe. But not certain on that, and most people don't keep that handy.
hmmm... I have canine versions... but not sure how my zoas and nems would react. might have to do a test run with rastas... i have a ton of those to spare

Amazon sells flatworm exit, and others do also. Shipped to your door.
LiveAquaria might even have live fish, but talk about a risky time to put something live in the mail.
You could probably arrange contactless pickup of a fish ordered by phone from the LFS, which much like walks staying 6 feet from others stays mostly within the spirit of the order.

Man you have the strangest situations that are worth envy..
Ppl fight for pods you have an explosion and want to get rid of them..
Ppl dose,test and chase numbers you have cubes you throw in the sump once a month and done...
You are a strange reefer ha ha

Amazon sells flatworm exit, and others do also. Shipped to your door.
True but have you noticed how long shipping is on things? Even for Prime eligible, almost a week lead time instead of the standard 1-3 days.

That said, I've used FWE on my tanks, pods live through that just fine.

Man you have the strangest situations that are worth envy..
Ppl fight for pods you have an explosion and want to get rid of them..
Ppl dose,test and chase numbers you have cubes you throw in the sump once a month and done...
You are a strange reefer ha ha
As for the pods, i never knew the eat nems until now. I was hoping the nem would digest them when they went into the nems' mouths. Jokes on me...

Perhaps I have a localized alternate universe in my tanks ;)

Back