Cali Kid Corals

BEWARE Tax Scam

seminolecpa

Past President
I wanted to make you aware of a tax scam that is currently making the rounds via email. This form that is attached to the email is NOT an IRS form nor is it being sent out by the IRS. It requests very sensitive information from you that can clearly be used for some very potentially destructive purposes.

If you receive anything of this nature, I advise you to think twice before completing or returning before checking with your tax advisor.

Below is one of the emails:

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 4:57 PM
To: XXXXXX
Subject: This is in reference to your 2010 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

This is in reference to your 2010 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return we seem to have some discrepancies with your filing. If you have already filed for your 2010 tax refund please get hold of a new form 1040 and mail it to the Department of the Treasury in your region.
If for any reason you have not yet filed for your 2010 Individual Income Tax Return please print out the attached PDF form, fill it and fax it to the IRS data center on (866) 513-7982 within 24 hours.
This has no bearing on your 2010 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, this to update our data and survey while we prepare to close the 2010 tax filing season.
Thank you

This information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain private, confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material and may be subject to one or more confidentiality agreements. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or any other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information, by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all storage media.

Odd about the .gov part, since that is not registered.
But .com is, bahamas - go figure.

Registrant
Private Whois Service
Private Whois Service i1twws84c7f1e99c3be6@db4lf1v4c7e2571db075.privatewhois.net
*******PLEASE DO NOT SEND LETTERS******
****Contact the owner by email only****
c/o irsonline.com
N4892 Nassau
Bahamas

Is the 866 number toll free?

If I, for instance, faxed 5000 totally black pages to them, would it cost me anything? Actually I guess if they have a fax modem, it wouldn't even use up their paper and ink, but maybe if they pay for the 866 number, it can be held up a bit and maybe rack up charges for them?

I'm not going to do this of course, this is just "armchair commando" talk. Or "Chairborne Rangers" if you prefer. ;)

V

Sfork said:
You should never open attachments that you didn't plan to get ever. Even a PDF can exploit and take over your computer.

I love the UPS one going around right now with a .zip attachment.

Yeah sure I am going to open a .zip attachment from UPS, and from an email which was obviously written by an ESL person.

Lucky I opened my UPS zip attachment. I'll be receiving a package containing 3 million dollars in gold coins. It's for the 2 Maxijets that I'm selling. I just have to ship to Nigeria :D

Back