Cali Kid Corals

Bill or Steve?

Mr. Ugly

Past President
Cool article.

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2011/03/22/engineering-vs-liberal-arts-who%e2%80%99s-right-%e2%80%94-bill-or-steve/

"The geek shall inherit the earth".

The advice I plan to give my kid (like he will listen):
Get a base major in engineering. Get a minor in humanities / liberal arts / business.
The engineering degree greatly increases the chance of a good job out of college.
The extra in liberal arts allows you to go beyond being the average worker.

Not sure why people are stuck in the mode thinking you have to completely specialize.

Logic will get you from A to B, imagination will get you everywhere

That said, I don't think Apple is terribly imaginative of a company, unless you mean making sleek hip designs and having an uncanny knack of marketing.

sfsuphysics said:
Logic will get you from A to B, imagination will get you everywhere...

Nope. Imagination will only let you THINK you got everywhere.
:)

Must be philosophy day. Or maybe just a slow rainy Friday.

Slow day!

I have always viewed it from a division of labor stand point. Without the engineers, you can not have liberal arts. But you certainly can have engineers without liberal arts. Can liberal arts contribute to society? Yes, but I think people need to realize that if we all became liberal arts majors, our society would fall apart, so I see it more as icing on the cake.

h20player101 said:
Slow day!

I have always viewed it from a division of labor stand point. Without the engineers, you can not have liberal arts. But you certainly can have engineers without liberal arts. Can liberal arts contribute to society? Yes, but I think people need to realize that if we all became liberal arts majors, our society would fall apart, so I see it more as icing on the cake.

Hmm, even though I am a pretty hard core engineer, not sure I would go that far.
I think I have to disagree and say that a fairly equal balance is important.

If you view it strictly as a division of labor, you probably are correct.
But I think that is only a piece of the puzzle. Big piece, sure, but still just a piece.

That is not to say we are balanced now, which I believe is a problem.
And I think the current form of capitalism rewards the wrong king of liberal arts.

But all that is a seriously complex discussion. A bit too complex for a web thread, and
way to boring when sober.

Personally, I think that too many people are going to traditional 4 year colleges. You can only have so many jobs positions that require a degree. After watching so many of my friends (I am 25) graduate from college expecting a job, not get one, and still have student loans to pay, I ask why. Compare that to friends that became electricians (night school after graduating from 4 year), plumbers (out of high school), carpenters (since middle school), or firemen (brother lots of school, hardly any at 4 years) that have good paying jobs that did not require a major in alcoholism with minor is flirting.

I think that people should always be trying to improve their knowledge (info) & education (ability), but the 4 year system is not the best way to do it. Also, if I talk to another sociology major, I may explode.

I would like to formally state, regardless of what I said before, scientists tend to be the more imaginative ones than the "liberal arts" people who simply regurgitate philosophies of others ;)

Back