License to krill

Borrowing the Club’s - PAR meter #2

JVU

BOD
Staff member
Ahh the famous SF myopia.

I’ve had SF friends who’ve never heard of Walnut Creek but could name every SF district or borough or whatever you call it when you give every 2 city blocks a different name.

Will is indeed the closest Board member to Livermore. But if we are calling it by the binary location of “Not SF” then there are several of us in that location.

Ok ... well it looks like I have to wait until Sept 12 to borrow the Par Meter since I just became a Supporting Member. Typically how long is the wait list ... days, weeks,
months (2 months maybe ) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
Ok ... well it looks like I have to wait until Sept 12 to borrow the Par Meter since I just became a Supporting Member. Typically how long is the wait list ... days, weeks,
months (2 months maybe ) ?
First step is to make sure you are in fact a Supporting Member, it still says guest under your name. The difference between a guest and a supporting member is a guest is simply someone who creates an account with the board, a supporting member is one who officially joins the club by paying yearly membership dues. Now if you did in fact do the later it might take a couple days to change, and if nothing has changed send a message to the webmaster RYGH

That said the wait list is as long as it is, if you look to the later posts, sometimes you might have to scroll back a page to see the current list. Each person represents a maximum of 1 week, and technically there are 2 meters so cut that time in half to get an approximate wait maximum time, however some people tend to be done before the week is done and occasionally there's a longer than desired turn around time to exchange the meter (which tends to get ironed out when the list is long and people want to use the meter). I currently have 1 meter, which isn't represented on the latest list, and 1 meter is free, there is 1 other person on the wait list after that but since they're very local to me they're going to wait for me to be done rather than going to get the available meter, so right now there is a meter available. Is this typical? *shrug* We did have a really long list, and that did get cut down quite a bit with the addition of the extra meter, but I would think people really only want the meter if they've never tested their lights to get some level of baseline, or they got some new lights and want to compare or match the output to what they had. Bottom line, don't put yourself on the list as it'll be far shorter than 2 months before you're in line.

That said read the first post which goes over the general rules, and copy the latest list with your name at the bottom with an @ sign (notification) in front, and your location so people know where to pick it up from. Scroll back through a few pages you'll see how the list changes to get an idea.

First step is to make sure you are in fact a Supporting Member, it still says guest under your name. The difference between a guest and a supporting member is a guest is simply someone who creates an account with the board, a supporting member is one who officially joins the club by paying yearly membership dues. Now if you did in fact do the later it might take a couple days to change, and if nothing has changed send a message to the webmaster RYGH

That said the wait list is as long as it is, if you look to the later posts, sometimes you might have to scroll back a page to see the current list. Each person represents a maximum of 1 week, and technically there are 2 meters so cut that time in half to get an approximate wait maximum time, however some people tend to be done before the week is done and occasionally there's a longer than desired turn around time to exchange the meter (which tends to get ironed out when the list is long and people want to use the meter). I currently have 1 meter, which isn't represented on the latest list, and 1 meter is free, there is 1 other person on the wait list after that but since they're very local to me they're going to wait for me to be done rather than going to get the available meter, so right now there is a meter available. Is this typical? *shrug* We did have a really long list, and that did get cut down quite a bit with the addition of the extra meter, but I would think people really only want the meter if they've never tested their lights to get some level of baseline, or they got some new lights and want to compare or match the output to what they had. Bottom line, don't put yourself on the list as it'll be far shorter than 2 months before you're in line.

That said read the first post which goes over the general rules, and copy the latest list with your name at the bottom with an @ sign (notification) in front, and your location so people know where to pick it up from. Scroll back through a few pages you'll see how the list changes to get an idea.
Thanks for the info ... Yes I am a Supporting Member as of yesterday and will just have to patiently wait until my probationary time is up and put myself on the list ... thanks again for your help !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
Ok, used the meter, and had some rather eye opening values. Tried to take the same PAR reading location for the old meter and new, there may have been some slight variations for a couple spots, but on average the newer meter reads 25% more PAR than the older meter, 16% when multiplying old data by 1.08 (sensor not made for underwater). Of the 15 data points I used, all but 3 were within one standard deviation of the average so it's a fairly good spread of data.

Now I'm running the "AB+" setting (plus some added T5s) which is very heavy on the blues according to the percentages in the setup although it does have a whitish overall look to it, so maybe not terribly surprising. But new meter that takes into account the bluer part of the spectrum, plus the underwater sensor (if you forget to multiply by 1.08 if using the older meter).

So if you used the older meter, you can probably get a better feel for the numbers by just multiplying all your data by 25% (1.25) or 1.16 if you already took into account the 8% error due to sensor.