High Tide Aquatics

Cal, Alk, Mag calculator

Anyone know a reef calculator where you set your goal parameters, then enter your current parameter then it will tell you what you need to adjust. I have a dilemma where my Alk is 12kdh, cal is 480 and Mag is 1500. I am using calcium reactor with ARM media. I stop the reactor for one day to reduce my ALK level 9.8 but CAL go to 500 and mag still high. I though if I stop using all the number will go down. Is it because my MAG is out of range that cause other number is out of balance?

I’m not sure if there’s a calculator that will answer your question. But since Ca and Mg get used up SO much more slowly than Alk, what I do when I’m in your situation is just dose Alk only (to keep it stable) for as many days as needed to bring the Ca and Mg down. It will take several days, maybe a week.

In this case, I would dose with an Alk-only supplement solution like Seachem Reef Carbonate with a doser.

But don’t get complacent or read to much into individual measurements. Test Ca and Mg once or twice a day (in addition to testing Alk frequently) so that you can go back to using the reactor once the values are back in balance.

And make sure you measurements are accurate before making any changes.

Are you sure your calcium test is accurate? If you alk is that high you calcium is likely lower than what you are reading because the calcium will precipitate at high Alk.

Back