High Tide Aquatics

Can’t win

had bad brown diatoms at start up
They seem to have subsided now I have green slime looking stuff all over with air bubbles attached in rocks and glass
All water parameters look good any ideas?
side note corals seem to be exploding in growth
49555338-847C-4948-B38D-F130680DAA88.jpeg

Looks like a green cyano bloom.

What are your nutrients running at?

I think most people:
  • Increase flow
  • Do more water changes
  • Siphon out as much as they can during water changes
  • Add activated carbon
  • Add GFO (if phosphates are a problem).
  • Make your own RO/DI water and test it often.
  • Add a skimmer

Don't give up. This is just the ugly stage of a new tank.

Non cuc as of right now
Running chemepure and carbon
Rodi water Red Sea coral pro salt
Tank is approx 3 months old
Don’t have parameters (at home) but all fell in specs
And yes running a skimmer
Going to try chemeclean this weekend

I'd recommend against chemi-clean and go with treating the root cause.
This might solve it for the next couple of weeks but it will eventually return if you don't fix the main issues.
I have had first hand experience with cyano and chemi-clean.

Please focus on getting good test kits and good husbandry, especially on a 20 gallon tank.
Look for test kits on Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate and Phosphate.
I believe trochus and cerith snails might nibble on cyano and will also help with algae and diatoms as well.

Will it go away like the diatoms?
Yes, it's all about building biological maturity. That's not to say you won't get a flare up of something later on, that happens when something gets out of whack - which happens to almost everybody.

Did you add bacteria, etc as you were cycling the new tank? That helped me - I used Dr. Tim's and Red Sea starter. I still had the ugly period though

Non cuc as of right now
Running chemepure and carbon
Rodi water Red Sea coral pro salt
Tank is approx 3 months old
Don’t have parameters (at home) but all fell in specs
And yes running a skimmer
Going to try chemeclean this weekend
I would suggest killing the skimmer for now. Let the system settle out and find its balance first.

Suggesting adding a CUC and potentially removing the Chemipure if it's the one with the GFO/phosphate remover. With such low bioload, crashing out your phosphates can cause issues (and predispose you to a dinoflagellate bloom).

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. It's a new tank and it'll go through the ugly phases. Practice good husbandry and it'll pay off in spades.

Agree with the above, but I would emphasize that you need to get in there frequently and suck it out with a siphon tube. It clumps up and sucks out pretty easily. You can siphon to waste along with water changes, or you can siphon to a fine filter sock in the sump if you aren’t due for a water change.

There are 2 big benefits of this- It gives other algae a chance to colonize the surfaces to compete, and it removes the nutrients that by definition are what the cyano is using to reproduce. It will feel endless for a while, but it isn’t. It is also satisfying in my opinion :)

Ok just got around to doing water change and alge clean up
My parameters before w/c
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calicum 380
Kh 161.1ppm
Phosphate.25 too high?
Anyone see why I have blue green cayno?

Back