High Tide Aquatics

Canon EF

It’s been decades since I had an interest in photography; that bug seems to come alive, just a little bit after my daughter joined some photography class.
A good friend gifted us a nice camera, full frame and looking forward to Yosemite’s annual Firefall in February, I haven’t done my homework on a good all purpose lens for it.
I’m aiming to find a good used lens, sort of an all purpose.
Have seen some EF L lenses with IS, particularly a 28-105mm
Does anyone have an input on that particular lens? I noticed a newer gen of that lens (Mk ll) but I don’t have that type of money; better yet, if someone here has that or something close to that particular lens and wants to sell it, lmk please.
Back in the old days of film, my target lens was an EF 35-350mm (non IS) but was out of my range too and when I was settings money aside, my camera equipment was stolen so I gave up... Now I can find that particular lens for a very reasonable price; mostly from Japan sellers on eBay.
Better yet, if you have such relic collecting dust and want a nice caring home for it...

Have seen some EF L lenses with IS, particularly a 28-105mm

I have the 24-105mm f4/L IS II lens if you want to test it out before you buy.

As for the Firefall, are you planning on hiking up to photograph it?
If not, I suggest going for a longer lens 70-200mm f/4 or 70-200mm f/2.8 if you plan on photographing it from the valley.

Don't forget to look at Canon compatible (EF mount) Sigma lenses as well. Some of them are quite sharp.

Last edited:
Another great resource is Borrow Lenses/Adorama/B&H lens rentals.

I used to regularly rent the Canon 600mm lens from them for wildlife photography, before I decided to purchase one (renting started becoming more $$).

Another great resource is Borrow Lenses/Adorama/B&H lens rentals.

I used to regularly rent the Canon 600mm lens from them for wildlife photography, before I decided to purchase one (renting started becoming more $$).
The 600 f4L is some serious glass. Share some pix you take with it!

Had the 400 2.8 L for a while. Was a bear to use until I got a Wimberly Gimbal head.

Yeesh, big lenses, but understandable for wildlife.

Decent time to head to Yosemite, especially with all the snow that's currently up there. Would make for some dynamic shots. Just make sure to bring a decent tripod if you're shooting Firefall. Last time I did that was like 15 years ago...
1641576446882.png

I have the 24-105mm f4/L IS II lens if you want to test it out before you buy.

As for the Firefall, are you planning on hiking up to photograph it?
If not, I suggest going for a longer lens 70-200mm f/4 or 70-200mm f/2.8 if you plan on photographing it from the valley.

Don't forget to look at Canon compatible (EF mount) Sigma lenses as well. Some of them are quite sharp.
That’s the lens I’ve been looking into but the previous generation. Seems to be a good general purpose lens to me. Thanks for the offer, I’ll consider it.
My family went last year; we were lucky to get a permit due to covid and snapped a few images but with a regular digital camera with a decent zoom range BUT battery died (still need to buy replacement batteries for it) I took a few pics of Half Dome from Glacier Point with that little Nikon and must say it packs a good optical zoom but when I used the digital zoom, I was able to see people on Half Dome; blurry but I had no tripod with me.
If I go by myself, hiking to a better point is the thing to do but my family might go with me and maybe another family will join us.
I totally missed the Firefall in October which is much less common phenomena.
On the list is staying overnight by El Capitan and snap a few images of climbers day and nighttime.
Tripod/monopod already checked.

That’s the lens I’ve been looking into but the previous generation. Seems to be a good general purpose lens to me. Thanks for the offer, I’ll consider it.
My family went last year; we were lucky to get a permit due to covid and snapped a few images but with a regular digital camera with a decent zoom range BUT battery died (still need to buy replacement batteries for it) I took a few pics of Half Dome from Glacier Point with that little Nikon and must say it packs a good optical zoom but when I used the digital zoom, I was able to see people on Half Dome; blurry but I had no tripod with me.
If I go by myself, hiking to a better point is the thing to do but my family might go with me and maybe another family will join us.
I totally missed the Firefall in October which is much less common phenomena.
On the list is staying overnight by El Capitan and snap a few images of climbers day and nighttime.
Tripod/monopod already checked.
If you want a tripod, I'm happy to lend you mine.

The 24-105 f4 L is a pretty good travel lens. Sharp over most of its focal length even at wide open. The f4 does limit it some in lower light situations. Tripod use becomes much more crittial.

The EOS 1D is not a full frame camera. It has a 1.3X crop.

The 24-105 f4 L is a pretty good travel lens. Sharp over most of its focal length even at wide open. The f4 does limit it some in lower light situations. Tripod use becomes much more crittial.

The EOS 1D is not a full frame camera. It has a 1.3X crop.
Mark ll

Now I see the pic, I have to zoom into the text to notice the little s
So, as in the other DSLR, the focal length of the lens will be a wee different due to the factor 1.3, right?

If it is a 1D the 1.3x would affect the actual focal length. A 24mm would be closer to a 31mm. The 105mm would be closer to a 136mm. A 400mm would be like a 520mm!

wow that's the same camera I had back in 2005, great camera build like tank, if you want to ditch the tripod, get some fast prime L lens. otherwise with that ISO, this camera lives with a tripod if there's arent enough light.

294997691_c0cb91c637_c.jpg

Yeesh, big lenses, but understandable for wildlife.

Decent time to head to Yosemite, especially with all the snow that's currently up there. Would make for some dynamic shots. Just make sure to bring a decent tripod if you're shooting Firefall. Last time I did that was like 15 years ago...
View attachment 34451
What focal length lens did you use for those images?

Good article to read
Thanks for that link.
I'll keep on doing some reading on lenses. Today I got a decently priced non-L lens just to play with the camera. 28-135 ultrasonic+IS

Back