Our mission

Citric acid harmful if too much enters water column

With everyone switching to “Citric acid” from vinegar to clean reefing gear. How important is it that i rinse the parts after soaking before they are tossed back into the tank.
I know Vinegar has “no” ill effects if it’s not all rinsed off, ( in fact, lots of reefers dose vinegar),
Should I be worried about citric acid?

Wasn’t it just components with magnets that shouldn’t be cleaned with vinegar? The impellers on pumps were swelling or something?

Citric acid isn’t harmful in tiny amounts either, it is (a crucial) part of normal metabolism. That said, I still wash it off before I put my cleaned equipment back in the tank, same as I would vinegar when I used it. No soak or anything, just a quick wash under running water like I would dishes.

The last couple times I bought it from Amazon, Millard brand was $12 for 5 lbs, nice resealable bag, free Prime shipping. Just as good a deal as the bulk supplier for the quantities we use and much more convenient. Looking just now it’s a little more expensive on amazon, don’t know why but perhaps related to the general craziness around cleaning supplies right now.

The last couple times I bought it from Amazon, Millard brand was $12 for 5 lbs, nice resealable bag, free Prime shipping. Just as good a deal as the bulk supplier for the quantities we use and much more convenient. Looking just now it’s a little more expensive on amazon, don’t know why but perhaps related to the general craziness around cleaning supplies right now.

Price has gone up since I purchased on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

even at that price, 50 lbs is $120 vs $57 bulk...

Is anyone in this hobby buying 50 lbs at once? I use it all the time and I go through about 5 lbs a year.

at 1 cup per gallon, I use it up fast. I clean all my pumps on a cycle of every month or two for powerheads, and 3 months for skimmer and return.

8 oz by volume (1 measuring cup, or half a 16 oz deli cup, which is a lot less than 8 oz by weight FYI) into 1 gallon, keeps for a week. I clean all my equipment on rotation, but I’m not throwing it out with every use. I clean several pieces of equipment with the same solution over the course of a week. I guess if you make up multiple gallons at a time and don’t get to reuse it, it would go a lot faster.

How much is shipping on that bulk site? I tried to look but you can’t tell until later in the purchase process.

Mike- You should totally try it out. You don’t need to wait for a bulk buy to see if you like it. I would think with your maintenance gig you’d go through a lot and it would be easier/safer/less damaging than other options.

I’d be up for a bulk buy if you want to organize it Chris. In sealed ziplock bags it should last for years. The website says you can purchase by the truckload if you want. :)

I actually rarely clean pumps for people. Too time consuming and not worth the rate I charge to spend the time doing that.
Mainly want to try it for myself. I don’t like to tell people to use stuff I haven’t tried yet for myself.

Back