Our mission

Cleaning the Back Wall of a Solana Tank

99sf

In our 25 gallon Solana rimless glass tank, the back wall is made of black textured plastic. This looks cool when it is new, but it's really hard to get algae (coralline and green hair) off of the back wall. For anyone who has ever had a Solana tank, what's the best way to clean the back wall? I've tried using the rough edge of the back of a sponge, without success. Have also tried a metal algae scraper, which was not much better.

Thanks Erick. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has trouble getting the algae off the plastic surface. Wish they used a different material.

Gusty, you're probably right. The manufacturer also recommends not placing the tank in a location where it is exposed to sunlight, so Current didn't envision our wavy green background.

The good side my back wall is glass. The bad side the overflow is smack dab in the center of my tank. I don't have much or any green algae. Just coraline algae.

My next tank is going to be peninsula style with external overflow :D

Rabbitfish in a 25G! :O

Actually, have you tried the toothbrush siphon thingy?

http://www.thesea.org/diy-aquarium/maintenance_algae_brush.html

Something like that, use the stiffest bristle toothbrush you can find. Old school hair algae cure...

And Erick needs an urchin. :steve:

Back