got ethical husbandry?

Co2 scrubber - Red Sea skimmer

Hi, I am considering a co2 scrubber to raise my ph and I am trying to find photos with examples of Setup/installation . Surprisingly I can barely find some on internet so I am trying my luck here.
Red Sea reefer 350
Red Sea skimmer 600
Where do you put it , how you connect it to the RSK, which scrubber did you get etc .
Thanks for the help .

here's my recirculating set up - rsr350 with rsk600. didnt wanna drill the lid since it has a neck cleaner or collection cup. took a cheap plastic dinner plate from daiso, drilled a hole in middle, hooked it up to a bottle (for less condensation) then into the brs co2 scrubber. outlet on co2 scrubber into the skimmer air intake. I used to be 8.1 to 8.4, now with calcium reactor, it's 7.8 to 8.1 for about 7 - 10 days before changing the media. hope that helps.
20200920_215655.jpg

Last edited:
here's my recirculating set up - rsr350 with rsk600. didnt wanna drill the lid since it has a neck cleaner or collection cup. took a cheap plastic dinner plate from daiso, drilled a hole in middle, hooked it up to a bottle (for less condensation) then into the brs co2 scrubber. outlet on co2 scrubber into the skimmer air intake. I used to be 8.1 to 8.4, now with calcium reactor, it's 7.8 to 8.1 for about 7 - 10 days before changing the media. hope that helps.
View attachment 24359
@jhuynh so wait -- you're trying to keep pH lower at 7.8 - 8.1?

Definitely watch the part of that video on PH.
I had a similar result:
- Had low <8 PH
- Added a CO2 scrubber
- PH went up nicely
- Made zero difference in my tank
- Was a hassle changing media, so disabled it.
- Made zero difference in my tank again.

In the video there is a very very brief mention of alternative sources of the absorbent media too. I think I heard them say that this media is used in SCUBA and can be purchased at greater bulk/discount (relative to reef hobby)

Quick comparison:

BRS: 7.5 lbs for $36 = $4.8/lb.
SCUBA: 44 lbs for $170 = $3.8/lb.

Reef Beef’s latest episode has a pretty lively discussion on pH. In their Reef Beef style.

watched it and I didn’t catch anything beyond the word pH. It was mostly about sexism.. did I see the wrong video, or miss the moment they spoke about.

I have a CO2 scrubber coming, so I’m curious....

Get past the beginning to where Mr Saltwater Tank gets pulled in. It’s the Beef portion of the show. Their “beef” is the promotion of high pH for, they suggest, sale of media.

Back