got ethical husbandry?

Controller boards! Post yours!

kinetic

Supporting Member
I'm getting some more inspiration for creating a controller board. I made one for my Reefer 170, but it turned into a birdsnest and everything ultimately fell off and now it's horribly stuck behind my tank. For my next build, I really want to get it right. I'd love to get some inspiration from others in the club.

Show me yours! Tell me some things you considered and what you'd do differently.

--

Here's what I'm planning:

Side A:
1. 3x VarioS-4 controllers (return, accessory, and skimmer)
2. Maxspect Gyre Controller
3. Apex Controller
4. Apex FMM Module (x2)
5. Apex VDM Module
6. Apex Display

Side B:
1. Power bricks
2. Energy Bar 832 (x2)
3. Energy Bar 4 (I have two already, might use them if needed)
3. Icecap Battery

I'm also going to build a shelf for two Neptune DOS and a 3x2 Liter dosing container setup.

Controller Board.jpg

My tip is to mange your wires and connectors in a way where you can easily remove/disconnect them if needed. It's inevitable that you'll need disconnect pumps for cleaning or fully remove equipment for tinkering and testing. It's easy to let the wires become a rat's nest behind the pretty organized controller board front.

Add one of the DJ strips with on off toggles to control all your equipment that don't need full Apex controllability

FBB8F414-99FE-4706-BF9C-55E85DCFCA38.jpeg

Mines super simple looking since I don’t need to manually futz with much. I control as much as I can from the apex so I don’t need my ecotech controllers to be immediately accessible

Advice : Make it larger than you think is needed, keep it away from moisture, and and remember to have some airflow.

Mine started out well, then expanded, then expanded some more.
Not meant to be fancy obviously.

IMG_1191.jpg

This is my extra simple one. No controller yet at least.

I put it on hooks so I can replace or take it down. Rather than snake cords behind I installed a cable tray at the bottom to hold power bricks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220713_045235699.jpg
    PXL_20220713_045235699.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 94
My tip is to mange your wires and connectors in a way where you can easily remove/disconnect them if needed. It's inevitable that you'll need disconnect pumps for cleaning or fully remove equipment for tinkering and testing. It's easy to let the wires become a rat's nest behind the pretty organized controller board front.

Add one of the DJ strips with on off toggles to control all your equipment that don't need full Apex controllability
Those DJ strips look cool but they are hard to move plugs around if you need to since they are on the opposite side. Bulky too.

I prefer something like this for a wall mount, much cheaper as well: https://www.amazon.com/CRST-Individ...endly-Protector/dp/B097JH3W3W?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I have a DJ one also (I think the exact one you posted) but I'm using it inside the display stand.

Last edited:
Those DJ strips look cool but they are hard to move plugs around if you need to since they are on the opposite side. Bulky too.

I prefer something like this for a wall mount, much cheaper as well: https://www.amazon.com/CRST-Individ...endly-Protector/dp/B097JH3W3W?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I have a DJ one also (I think the exact one you posted) but I'm using it inside the display stand.

Wow that power strip looks so much better than the ADJ one, and is so much smaller. I have an ADJ right now, and it's super bulky. In a way, it's nice to have the power chords behind it, but with a controller board, it's definitely not needed.

View attachment 40226
Mines super simple looking since I don’t need to manually futz with much. I control as much as I can from the apex so I don’t need my ecotech controllers to be immediately accessible

That looks very clean. I don't think i'll need to touch my controllers either once they're dialed in (except maybe the maxspect since that's not connected to apex, and I'll need to turn the gyres off when changing water). Good thing to think about, just hide everything I don't usually need.

Those DJ strips look cool but they are hard to move plugs around if you need to since they are on the opposite side.
You are right about the plugs being difficult from the back. I put 1 foot extension cords in all the outlets so I don't have to try and plug in blind on the back side. It adds more bulk but provides a solution if you have room for the bulk.

You are right about the plugs being difficult from the back. I put 1 foot extension cords in all the outlets so I don't have to try and plug in blind on the back side. It adds more bulk but provides a solution if you have room for the bulk.
I use the DJ strips. That’s a great idea.

I just saw these Kasa Smart Plug power strips on Amazon Prime Day sale:

I think I'll get those over the ADJ strips. You can control them from your phone too! We'll see how they do. Anyone try them? Might be overkill since I'd only plug in stuff that doesn't need to be controlled.

Also, I just saw the Inkbird temp controllers are also on prime day sale. I just ordered the WiFi version to add an extra layer of temp control on top of my apex.

I just saw these Kasa Smart Plug power strips on Amazon Prime Day sale:

I think I'll get those over the ADJ strips. You can control them from your phone too! We'll see how they do. Anyone try them? Might be overkill since I'd only plug in stuff that doesn't need to be controlled.

Also, I just saw the Inkbird temp controllers are also on prime day sale. I just ordered the WiFi version to add an extra layer of temp control on top of my apex.
I use them for everything. Super useful.

"Hey google, main tank fish feeding time" -> turn off my return pump, uv sterilizer & its pump, protein skimmer, 10min later turn on return, 2min after that turn on my skimmer & uv.
"Hey google, main tank coral feeding time" -> same but turn my vortechs off for ~8 minutes and bump all the others out a couple minutes

They also are controllable over your local network, and don't require your external internet to be up. They also remember their last power setting when the power goes out / comes on, which is very important on these. They also also can be scheduled.

All around great, except I wish they didn't have the USB ports. I have no use for them, and it's one more thing that can get water in it. They also are pretty bulky, but so are a lot of these.

Back