got ethical husbandry?

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Depend on how sever the po4 and how fast you want to drop it, I would start with half the recommended value passive, then if u want faster action 100% of the recommended dose passive.
Then when you feel comfortable you can move to reactor.
As an example I now know in my system using a full dose in a reactor take my po4 down from 0.1 to 0.05 in 3 days to a week top. Bow days I do not even test po4, once icp showing me value I do not like, I add rowphse to my reactor for a week then take it off...
The important thing here is frequent testing when you use it the first couple times.
This media will keep taking out po4 and supposedly it will not leach it back when it reach its capacity, as you have seen by now the capacity of this media is massive compared to its volume, so testing is important at early beginning of getting to know the media impact in your system..

Depend on how sever the po4 and how fast you want to drop it, I would start with half the recommended value passive, then if u want faster action 100% of the recommended dose passive.
Then when you feel comfortable you can move to reactor.
As an example I now know in my system using a full dose in a reactor take my po4 down from 0.1 to 0.05 in 3 days to a week top. Bow days I do not even test po4, once icp showing me value I do not like, I add rowphse to my reactor for a week then take it off...
The important thing here is frequent testing when you use it the first couple times.
This media will keep taking out po4 and supposedly it will not leach it back when it reach its capacity, as you have seen by now the capacity of this media is massive compared to its volume, so testing is important at early beginning of getting to know the media impact in your system..
What’s a full dose though? You Baden it in your system volume and the amount they say will lower it by how much? .1-.05 isn’t that much for a “full dose”. How fast it works is what I’m most concerned with. I’ll check in the next day or two.

What’s a full dose though? You Baden it in your system volume and the amount they say will lower it by how much? .1-.05 isn’t that much for a “full dose”. How fast it works is what I’m most concerned with. I’ll check in the next day or two.
I use the 100ml dose for my 170g.

I’m confused now. Retested phosphates to make sure they weren’t getting to low and got .15, so I did another test and got .21. So either I didn’t get a lot of the reagent in the tube the other night (possible), or it’s gone back up a lot real quick (doubtful). Starting to get annoying.

I’m confused now. Retested phosphates to make sure they weren’t getting to low and got .15, so I did another test and got .21. So either I didn’t get a lot of the reagent in the tube the other night (possible), or it’s gone back up a lot real quick (doubtful). Starting to get annoying.

How much time elapsed between your tests?

2 days. Gotta be an error somewhere. And it’s almost definitely my fault one way or another

Yeah; assuming you're using the Hanna ULR, getting the reagent in the tube properly is a PITA.

When did you last change out your GFO? Asking because I noticed similar issues when trying to get my phosphates under control—phosphates tested at 0.14, I swapped my GFO out, check a few hours later, phosphates were at 0.07-ish. Checked the next day, phosphates were at 0.17. It took me 2 or 3 repetitions of changing out GFO to get the phosphates (stably) down; I'm assuming that I had a phosphate sink somewhere in my tank (rocks, or maybe uneaten food, though I doubt it), and I'd just reached the adsorption capability of my GFO each time.

I’ve been doing extra water changes, using more gfo, and changing it out more often for awhile to no avail.
Since then I added 60 g of rowaphos in a media bag about a week ago.

Finally fragged bobs ultron and put a piece in the display, got one to give back to @tankguy.
And fragged the alveopora from @The_Lazy_Reefer and our a piece in the display as well.
796B02CF-4EAA-4853-AA67-C3F1E531AE92.jpeg
1929264A-BC3A-43AE-87C2-9E749C124AB4.jpeg

Any theories as to why? I’m pretty stumped and just trying to keep up with the tank as best I can anencephaly hope I stop losing things. Seems to be doing better for now at least.
Could be a combination of factors, where one thing being off may not be a big deal, but multiple things being norm quite ideal can cause problems. That’s my best guess for now.
Some of them don't seem to like high light and low nutrients in the frag tank. That's all I've noticed

Anyone used flatworm exit in their tank before? I’m going to try to eradicate the red planaria ive had forever. They don’t really seem to be a huge problem, but I’d rather get rid of them if I can. Just checking for tips or advice before I just follow the instructions.

Anyone used flatworm exit in their tank before? I’m going to try to eradicate the red planaria ive had forever. They don’t really seem to be a huge problem, but I’d rather get rid of them if I can. Just checking for tips or advice before I just follow the instructions.
I didn’t end up using it in my tank, I just dipped affected corals in FWE. But the tips I read online were to use it following package instructions, then be prepared to do a large water change and run carbon to handle the dying worms producing toxins. If you want any to skew the dosage You can figure out the dosage required for the specific FW you have by putting an impacted coral in a 1 gal container of S.W., then drop the FWE in until you see them die and then you have the concentration required for your specific FW

Back