Kessil

Current IC Pro Reef Aquarium Light???

I am just past the 50% point of my new tank cycle and am considering what lights to purchase when I open shop for my new reef tank. Its a 50 gal. that is 48" long, 19" deep and 13" wide. I was going to lay out the $1,200 for two Kessil 360x but saw the Current IC Pro dual LED fixure for less than half the price (which would integrate with my powerheads) and am wondering if they will get the job done. I would like to be able to maintain a spread of LPS, SPS, Zoas... throughout the tank so need something that can fit the bill. Any experience with this lighting fixture?

I am just past the 50% point of my new tank cycle and am considering what lights to purchase when I open shop for my new reef tank. Its a 50 gal. that is 48" long, 19" deep and 13" wide. I was going to lay out the $1,200 for two Kessil 360x but saw the Current IC Pro dual LED fixure for less than half the price (which would integrate with my powerheads) and am wondering if they will get the job done. I would like to be able to maintain a spread of LPS, SPS, Zoas... throughout the tank so need something that can fit the bill. Any experience with this lighting fixture?
Bumping to try to get some input on this.

Different Currents have different outputs/specs, That said wasn't terribly impressed by what I saw, there are a number of lights out there in the "midrange" of pricing that would work good over a tank, Reef Breeders unit is a not too bad cost at that price. Even something older like a Maxspect Razor isn't half bad either.

Wow that would be awesome. I cannot argue with free! I can see how it works for me and it at least buys me some time. How can I pick it up?

Wow that would be awesome. I cannot argue with free! I can see how it works for me and it at least buys me some time. How can I pick it up?
@svreef Yeah sorry but I'm new to the club and I'm not sure what the protocol is for exchanging stuff. Thanks again for the offer and let me know what I need to do.

@svreef Yeah sorry but I'm new to the club and I'm not sure what the protocol is for exchanging stuff. Thanks again for the offer and let me know what I need to do.

Where are you located? (You can add your location to your profile too)

I need to go to SF sometime soon to pick up an item I bought from another member, so maybe I can swing by or meet you somewhere.

Where are you located? (You can add your location to your profile too)

I need to go to SF sometime soon to pick up an item I bought from another member, so maybe I can swing by or meet you somewhere.
I'm in Santa Clara so not sure which way you will be driving from Scotts Valley to SF but let me know you closest point to Santa Clara and I will meet you.

Very generous Pablo! I'd use that light for a bit until you need something more powerful. My limited experience with the Current lights are that they are very under powered. But if you only plan to do some easy to keep corals it would be acceptable.

Yeah, I have kept fish before but never did any corals of any kind. My new tank is near the end of cycling so my plan is to run this light with some easy, low light demand corals until I see how my tank / water reacts, how to feed... then I'm leaning toward the AP9X once I get things dialed in a bit.

It's "OK" for soft corals, the idea that soft corals are by default "lower light" corals is often just plain wrong. While they're a lot more tolerable to lower light, quite a few can take the PAR just as much as SPS.

Also correct. My torches are getting over 450 PAR, and some of my ZOA's get even more.

Back