Kessil

Deep Sea Aquatics 190

So, three days ago I got a Deep Sea Aquatics 190 with Stand, Canopy and Lids from Manfred at Natural Life Aquarium in SSF
Tank is 60" x 27" x 27" It has a center overflow with 2 overflow holes (1"?) and 2 return holes (3/4"?) .
Today I installed the Aqueon Mega Flow overflow aquarium accessory kit (I cut two inches off the top of the return PVC to properly fit in the overflow).
I also got an ATC Refractometer.
Ordered: another Aqueon Mega Flow kit, LUYS 300w/500w heater and a Neptune Cor return pump.
I need everything else (lights, sump, skimmer, RODI, ATO, rock, pipe, fittings, tank safe epoxy, sand, salt, nutrients, and a lot of info!).
I am thinking about 2 Kessil AP9X... not sure yet.
I think I might get another return pump for redundency.
What should I use for accurate temp readings?
What should I use for accurate testing?
After all that get squared away, I will leak test, then start cycling. Then cheato in the refuge as first living thing in my system?
All tips welcome.
Thank you!

Sounds like sweet dimensions! I would use three of the holes as drains and do bean animal style with only one return.
Is the idea for bean animal that both the main line and the back up could become clogged, therefore we might need a third? You think bean animal is better than two return pumps? Thank you for letting me know!

Is the idea for bean animal that both the main line and the back up could become clogged, therefore we might need a third? You think bean animal is better than two return pumps? Thank you for letting me know!
I believe a big factor is that bean animal is easier to tune to be a silent drain. and you could use a tee and still have the redundancy of two return pumps

That is interesting. I also have a DSA 190 but I have 5 holes in the overflow. 3 drains, 2 returns.
I can send you a pick. I am very interested to hear all about your system. Are you running the Bean Animal? What do you use for lighting? How is your tank doing? What size plumbing thickness do you have going on? What is your return pump? Is your ATO attached to a reservoir or RODI? Thank you!

OK, so I am using Red Sea Coral Pro (black/purple), got 2 MP40s, Caribsea Liferock, Neptune Platinum 39 with roller, Tunze ATO. I want to put the lights in my canopy which is 5 1/2" over the water...
Using one 500W Hitauing heater. Started cycling (without lights)! Ordered the Red Sea Reefer 900 skimmer... the adventure has begun!

Tank Update: cycling with Dr. Tim’s a small amount of live rock; skimmer Red Sea 900 set up but not running, 2 Kessil 360X, RODI running, Túnze ATO not yet set up. Running Inkbird with BRS titanium heater. Put a 4”x8”x8 Marine Pure biological medium in my sump. Thinking of getting 2 black oscellaris clowns and a purple or red fire fish as my first fish. Ammonia consistent 2 ppm, so, just waiting out the cycle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e95f2149f8a2bb1b19826d4aaeb338bc.jpg

Special thanks to Srt4eric for all of his great advice, tips, gifts and support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycled my tank and got ammonia and nitrite down to zero. Salinity at 1.026. Temp 79.5
Added two ORA tank bred Snow Storm Clowns, then 3 redleg hermits, then 3 snails. Then a helfrichi firefish, purple dottyback and a yellow tang. Having some brown algae or cyano. Added 3 more snails and an emerald crab. Feeding spiralina brine and spiralina mysis. Also added apex pods and tigger pods from reef nutrition. Still need some macro algae for my refugium. Thinking of zoas as my first coral, but not yet...

Back