Our mission

DI resin order

Cation fist. This is basically what I run now:

Stage 1 - Pro Series Cation Resin
Stage 2 - Pro Series Anion DI Resin
Stage 3 - Pro Mixed Bed Cation DI Resin

BRS put out a video on it a while back. They explain why cation first and my you want mixed at the end as well.

Is the reasoning behind multiple DI types to increase their longevity? Or does it Decrease the waste water? I get 0TDS with the 4 stage BRS in Santa Clara so I’m not sure what value there is in upgrading

I have two canisters of mixed bed right now and they get depleted very quickly. So, running cation and anion before them will likely cause one of those two to be depleted first, which is cheaper to replace. The mixed bed should last much longer.

I do 2 mixed beds, when time to change out the first, I remove the first, move the second to the first position, and add a fresh second. This is easy, can be scheduled, and is 1 fewer canister to deal with. 0 TDS 100% of the time practically, and also sound theoretically. I have very low TDS leaving my membranes, so I only rarely have to change out a resin cartridge at all.

The main argument for the separate cation and anion beds is so that they can be changed out only as needed, thereby reducing the waste of changing out a mixed bed just because 1 of the 2 components is used up but the other has life left. This makes more sense if your water quality or membrane efficiency are particularly bad, but I think it seems like more work and more prone to mistakes. Our water quality in the Bay Area is pretty good. and it is straightforward to get high quality membranes.

I’m on well water, which is very rich in minerals. Over 600 TDS after the water softener. RO gets me to 30-100 TDS and DI has to do the rest of the work.

Is the reasoning behind multiple DI types to increase their longevity? Or does it Decrease the waste water? I get 0TDS with the 4 stage BRS in Santa Clara so I’m not sure what value there is in upgrading
It probably increases longevity, often in a mixed bed you'll run out of one type of resin before the other, net result is that part of resin is now useless and you need to replace the whole mixed bed resin as it will not be as effective at nabbing "stuff", and effectively you'll be throwing out perfectly good resin just resin that gets other "stuff". When you do multiple types you do cation, then anion, then a mixed bed and the idea behind it is that if one gets used up prematurely no problem, you replace that while the other resin type still is good and you don't need to toss it, the final mixed bed is just in case anything slips through the prior two or if you get a bit "cheap" and feel like you want to squeeze out every drop of water possible though your other resin you may let considerably more stuff through, so the mixed bed is there as a safety net.

As to waste water, nope, once you get to the resin stage it's 1:1 input to output

I can burn through two canisters of mixed bed resin pretty quickly so I switched over to separate resins after watching the BRS video on it. I had the extra canister laying and needed to order new resin anyway so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if it makes a difference. I have chloramines in my tap water (Oakley) and if you deplete your carbon, the ammonia eats up the resin pretty quickly. I run 2 canisters of CAG before I get to the chloramine block also. That also made a big difference for me.

I’m on well water, which is very rich in minerals. Over 600 TDS after the water softener. RO gets me to 30-100 TDS and DI has to do the rest of the work.
Wow. Yeah in your case you will need to optimize your resin beds, especially if you can’t improve your membrane further (which I would work on first personally). The big advantage of separate cation and anion beds for well water is that you probably have more of one getting through than the other, so will have noticeable uneven use.

Not wasting one part of a mixed bed for sure, but mostly for people who have water supplies high in something that would deplete one or the other a lot faster.
Having only one mixed bed runs the risk of seeing 0 tds, but some thin sb like ammonia getting pushed out. The brs video on this was actually quite informative for me.
The jist was media could Be grabbing some things it bonds with easily and other things would then Be pushed out when close to used up.

I started this journey buying an iSpring 500 gpd RO unit (recommended by someone here). Mostly because I wanted water more quickly but also because of the 2:1 waste ratio. It fits nicely under the kitchen and we use it at the sink and the ice maker.

I don’t think there’s an upgrade path for this kind of unit.

Back