Reef nutrition

disobedient algae

Patio

Supporting Member
I asked it nicely to grow on the screen... Might need to escalate to asking sternly but fairly.

At first it bothered me but I guess it is still doing what it needs to do...

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

That looks like chaeto, which will not grow on the screen. For the screen you want turf algae, which as far as I know is not something people need to seed for it to take hold and grow.

That looks similar to what I pull out of my ATS. I also get clumps sticking to the sides and bottom but also a lot on the screen, maybe rough it up more?

That looks like chaeto
Really? Maybe. A very very very thin type of cheato? I want to find out now...

I have not introduced cheato the year the scrubber has been running or ever for this tank. But cheato can find a way.

That looks similar to what I pull out of my ATS. I also get clumps sticking to the sides and bottom but also a lot on the screen, maybe rough it up more?
I like it whatever it is. The screen is pretty rough and has grown some algae in the past. I had a 5 second power outage, several months ago, and the pump never started back up when the power did. The scrubber dried out before I caught it. After starting the scrubber back up after the power outage, I left all the lights on high and I think it may have been too bright on the all white screen. I didn't want to ramp up the lighting and go through the slime stage again so just tried to go full power. That's my best guess so far.

This weekend I cleared half of it and put it back rather than clearing all of it. I can roll with this, I think.

I am going to disagree here on the algae ID. I can maybe see one strand of cheato at the bottom, but this looks more like a hair algae or a turf algae to me. From my experience in my sump, if the surface is wet, and has light, it will grow algae on it.

Flow rate related? Trickle water on The screen and not on the surfaces?
I think you could be correct as well but not from lack of pump head but from the top of the screen clogging some of the trickle down flow. When it clogs like that at the top of the screen, the water shoots out toward the side walls as well as down the screen, but a lot less down the screen.

I still haven't decided if it's a problem or a problem worth correcting, at this point. I am going to check it each week and stay flexible.

Back