Neptune Aquatics

Do I need to buy an AC adapter for this?

I have a pump like that.
Yes, 12VDC.

ALSO! : Notice the max 4 amps!
That is way more than most little wall-wart type supplies drive.
And it will draw a lot on start-up plus if there is a lot of back pressure, say
through a float valve. See graph on their site.

I have a pump like that.
Yes, 12VDC.

ALSO! : Notice the max 4 amps!
That is way more than most little wall-wart type supplies drive.
And it will draw a lot on start-up plus if there is a lot of back pressure, say
through a float valve. See graph on their site.

thanks mark. i think that's a little too heavy-handed for my use. i just want a new ATO setup that's a little more efficient.

how high are you pumping water? what's your preferred flow rate?

my ATO container sits next to my sump so no head, so far I have a really cheap small pump (something like 10w 110AC) and it's working great, once I kill this one (if I ever do) my preferred choice for a replacement is going to be the tunze type tiny pump that runs on 6V DC and I can shove it through the throat of a typical 5 Gal container. I believe they do something like 1/2 Gal/Min and it'll go down to 3V so the rate is kind of adjustable.

how high are you pumping water? what's your preferred flow rate?

my ATO container sits next to my sump so no head, so far I have a really cheap small pump (something like 10w 110AC) and it's working great, once I kill this one (if I ever do) my preferred choice for a replacement is going to be the tunze type tiny pump that runs on 6V DC and I can shove it through the throat of a typical 5 Gal container. I believe they do something like 1/2 Gal/Min and it'll go down to 3V so the rate is kind of adjustable.

i'm not pumping far at all. The reason why I want to replace what I have, is that I'm just using an MJ1200, which is overkill.

Plus, I have to put the pump in the reservoir, which I would prefer not to have. Avast Marine has a new ATO diaphragm pump, but it's backordered. It comes out to about $50, which is the same cost as buying any diaphragm pump and getting a DC adapter.

Ooh send that to me as well please. Got their pump on my 60 and was considering ordering another one but DIY sounds like a much better idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...and if you're not going to publicly post it, just PM it to me as I'm curious as well :D

A bit of a curious question too, is will this pump also suffer the same issue with most controllers out there, in that it's too low wattage and may not actually turn off a plug? I've been nabbed by that a couple times with my aqualifter, each time I assumed I simply created a siphon or something due to the height of my water container, but figured it out when I actually touched the pump and still felt it pumping... luckily having large volume of water it didn't affect me much.

Yeah...and if you're not going to publicly post it, just PM it to me as I'm curious as well :D

A bit of a curious question too, is will this pump also suffer the same issue with most controllers out there, in that it's too low wattage and may not actually turn off a plug? I've been nabbed by that a couple times with my aqualifter, each time I assumed I simply created a siphon or something due to the height of my water container, but figured it out when I actually touched the pump and still felt it pumping... luckily having large volume of water it didn't affect me much.

Most controllers?
Or just the one Apex one, where they use a (rather poorly designed) Triac, on some channels.

I have not ran one of these specifically but I run a 7w pump on my AC3 with no issues, RA I believe works fine too, not sure about APEX though.

Most controllers?
Or just the one Apex one, where they use a (rather poorly designed) Triac, on some channels.
Well I've heard the Apex one mentioned, but I also have had issues with the Reef Keeper unit, which isn't surprising since Neptune basically copied exactly what Digital Aquatics did (even if Neptune did make a better product). I don't recall an issue with my AC3 though, although the power plug dohicky did have 2 "special" plugs so I may have used them in the past.

Back