Cali Kid Corals

Do you rinse your frozen food?

Curious to know how often do you rinse frozen food while thawing it, and what do you rinse it with? Rodi or just tap water?
I have found frozen food more gentle on po4 and no3 especially if I rinse it. I use tap water to thaw and rinse 3 days worth of food a batch..
Heard somewhere that rinsing the food strip it from some of its nutritional values..is that true?

I rinse it... with tank water, and then after it melts I dump everything into the tank, including water :D
Ha ha so you do not rinse you just thaw. If I do not rinse I feel I spike my no3 and po4, I I alot, and the junk that comes with the frozen do impact nutrients level...

But this tank water is great idea I have no idea why I never though of it..srsly I feel dumb.
Rinsing with tank water will be good to avoid tap water residue which is what I I some times wonder if am adding harm to the tank..
Thanks for sharing..

The addition of phosphates is negligible. Just dump it all in.

Will take a read. I remember seeing correlation with higher po4 when I do not rinse thu..
Do you recommend not rinsing because its beneficial or just to avoid the extra step?

I had been using whatever frozen food was at petsmart but switched to LRS because it claimed to be very clean. I never felt the need to rinse it. I just did like @sfsuphysics and let it thaw in the tank water and poured it in.

I’m sure it depends on what frozen food you are using. I only use frozen food that is specifically formulated to be fine to just use without rinsing, like LRS reef frenzy, PE mysis, and Hikari cubes. With this in mind, I never rinse.

Sometimes I just add frozen like Mike said, in which case I usually use the IM defroster. I’ve also added frozen without the defroster and just let the cube float around at the surface. Once a week or so I’m wanting to spot feed corals like my Dendrophyllia, so I thaw first in a small (5.5 oz) frag cup in tank water and then feed with Julian’s Thing.

I don't feed a lot of frozen food, but when I do I usually put different types together, there's going to be the mysis of course, but then there could be some coral food, or some Rod's Food which has a little of everything, and ultimately rinsing would get rid of most of the goody stuff in there. I don't rinse flake or pellet food, so I can't imagine rinsing frozen food is going to do that much.

I don't feed a lot of frozen food, but when I do I usually put different types together, there's going to be the mysis of course, but then there could be some coral food, or some Rod's Food which has a little of everything, and ultimately rinsing would get rid of most of the goody stuff in there. I don't rinse flake or pellet food, so I can't imagine rinsing frozen food is going to do that much.
1584807884393.jpeg

I do the same, I put different food together and thaw them all. I use many different food. Hikari(mysis,krill,brine), LRS reef frenzy, pc mysis/calanus and pc fresh water mysis..
Mix all in a cup and thaw them in 3 days batches...
I do not like dry food cause its worst with po4..that being said I feed pellets once a day a small batch through my auto feeder. Mainly for the anthias to have something mid day while am out...

Back