Cali Kid Corals

Do you think it would be cool if the club had a gryphon bandsaw?

Would you see yourself wanting to borrow a gryphon bandsaw at least once a year of the club had one

• Total voters

Coral reefer

Past President
Just curious how many members would want to borrow a gryphon 42” bandsaw for fragging corals? We do already have an inland brand band saw, but it has a pretty small opening meaning you can’t feed large corals or colonies through it.
The main benefit of the gryphon is that it has a larger opening and would also be new and allow us to have more than one saw to pass around.

yes, how much does a good one run
Not sure how many diamond bladed bandsaws exist for corals, Inland and Gryphon are the only two which come to mind, Inland ones cost somewhere in the $380-460 range new I think, Gryphon ones are in the $400-460 price range. Now I'm not sure about the bells and whistles which differentiate one from another, so can't give any more review other than that. But I think both brands are absolutely adequate tools, it's not like a Jebao brand tool.

The main advantage to the gryphon saw would be a larger clearance so it can fit larger corals/colonies.
For example, there would have been more of the dbtc gold torch offered if we had one of these saws to use. Instead I had to break it apart since it didn’t fit in my inland saw and some split in half and did not survive.
Also, the motor is on top and the water on the bottom instead of the other way around for the inland saw, which will likely make it last longer.

I'm fairly new to the club, and wasn't around when the PAR meters/etc were purchased, so how would this work? Would this be taken out of membership dues, or would supporting members kick in some amount of extra money to pool the purchase of one?

I'm anticipating that this would be something nice to have in the future, so I'm interested regardless. :)

Great idea -- although I think you better get a sign off form online for insurance purposes with a saw that size. I still also think we need another PAR meter. The waits on these is really, really long and the club has the money.

Back