High Tide Aquatics

Does anyone know where I can find info about how Steinhart takes care of thier tanks?

dochou

Supporting Member
I was at Steinhart on Friday and was just curious about how they take care of thier tanks?
Is there a team?
Is there a team per tank?
Why does one tank have an aptaisia infestation but none in the other tanks?
How do they aquascape these tanks when they can only see from above? ie they can not see the front of the tank while accessing the inside of the tank.
How do the get the scratches out of the acrylic?
Where does the water come from? How are water changes done?
Why doesn't the main Philippines reef have more coral?
In the smaller displays, what happens to corals if they over grow the tank? Do they just throw out the excess?
What do they feed the corals? How about the NPS corals and NPS gorgonians?
Do they have a lot of success with coral growth?
How often do they replace the jelly fish? Where do they come from?
I have so many questions, but don't know where to find the answers.
Any help is appreciated.

20220401_211646.jpg

I can take a stab at most of these.

I was at Steinhart on Friday and was just curious about how they take care of thier tanks?
Is there a team?
Yes
Is there a team per tank?
No
Why does one tank have an aptaisia infestation but none in the other tanks?
My guess, either things eat the aiptasia in the other tanks, or they treat them occasionally and this tank hasn't been treated recently.
How do they aquascape these tanks when they can only see from above? ie they can not see the front of the tank while accessing the inside of the tank.
I do this all the time. Look for landmarks in the tank from the side when you are deciding what to do, then use those landmarks from above when gluing the corals.
How do the get the scratches out of the acrylic?
This might be how.
Where does the water come from? How are water changes done?
Usually big aquariums have a draw from the ocean that sends the water through a purification/filtration system. I don't know exactly how this one works.
Why doesn't the main Philippines reef have more coral?
Because growing coral is hard and the team likely is busy
In the smaller displays, what happens to corals if they over grow the tank? Do they just throw out the excess?
Likely thrown out or the staff takes frags home for their tanks. Edit: Looks like nothing is discarded and things are traded with other AZA facilities.
What do they feed the corals? How about the NPS corals and NPS gorgonians?
Lots of coral foods out there, I like the combo of reef roids, benepets, and reef chili. Amino acids are good for them too.
Do they have a lot of success with coral growth?
I think they do
How often do they replace the jelly fish? Where do they come from?
My guess, whenever they die and from the ocean likely. Edit: It sounds like they come from a farm though.
I have so many questions, but don't know where to find the answers.
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Agree we should try to arrange another behind the scenes tour, though I doubt the answers will be as thorough as Michael’s!

Aquarium behind the scenes tours have been on hold by the aquariums for a couple years but we are reaching out to them again to restart when they are ready.

I used to volunteer there for a few years.

Yes the tanks are done by different biologists. I used to take care of a few of the reef ones each week.

They make there own salt water in a large holding tank in the bank.

Search behind the scenes steinhart tour I used to lead. The pics might still be around. I found this old one. https://bareefers.org/forum/threads/5th-sf-tank-tour-sat-feb-28th-2009.2258/page-15

The club did a tour in 2020 but didnt find any pics?

Stienhart is an AZA acredited facility, so, all livestock is tracked. They don't throw corals out, they trade them with other AZA facilities.

Lots of these questions could be answered with a search of the forum, and Rich/Matt's articles.

Back