got ethical husbandry?

Does PVC really need to cure?

richiev

Supporting Member
I setup the plumbing for my overflow on my frag tank. Standard PVC, cemented with PVC cement.

Does it actually matter if I let this cure before using?

On my old system, I once needed to do some emergency plumbing repairs, and did not have the luxury of waiting the full recommended cure time (24 hours?). I needed to get the sump back online to keep my fish/coral alive. I waited about an hour before running water through it and noticed no ill effects.

I pvc glue for work sometimes. With no airflow it can stay wet for days. I would blow a fan at it and let it dry. The bond is mechanical imo so the fear isn’t that the bond will be weak but that you’ll shoot glue all over the tank

I pvc glue for work sometimes. With no airflow it can stay wet for days. I would blow a fan at it and let it dry. The bond is mechanical imo so the fear isn’t that the bond will be weak but that you’ll shoot glue all over the tank
Would running a bunch of water through it resolve that as well?

I honestly haven't DIY'ed a bunch of PVC for a tank for awhile, but my recollection is I'd normally prime&cement&twist&hold, then let it sit for a handful of minutes, then run water through it, then run RO through it, then consider it good.

I didn't even think to let it cure until earlier today and googled it and saw you're supposed to. I assume as long as it smells you would be better off curing it, but I'm not sure if it actually matters.

As long as you rinse the pipes on the inside your good to go I've done repairs to freinds tanks and had no I'll effects your good to go bubba

YOLO. Sump is running. Turned a 30 gallon frag tank into a 37 gallon tank.

Now the question is do I keep it running overnight or turn it off and then back on tomorrow morning when I can watch it while working?

I definitely  should just turn the pump off and leave it for tomorrow, but ... YOLO again?

Edit: my ATO sensor is in the tank, and I don't want to try and get that right tonight. So I chickened out and turned the sump off for the night. In retrospect I could've therefore let it cure overnight, but...

Last edited:
I would worry about liquid glue and glue fumes running around the water, but they should outgas and get trapped in carbon if you can run that.

Back