Jestersix

Dosing

I've seen buildup over long (~6mo) timescales when not managing splashback very well - they do need to be checked once in awhile. If the ca / alk lines are fairly far out of the water and not getting splashed by saltwater or the opposite dosing pump it should be minimal.

Where is that last 8 inches of tubing? Jess is hinting at why I think there might be problems, you didn't submerge the tubes into the tank did you?

I have had mine clog as well. Same with tubes for auto-water-exchange.
Seems to help if they are further from water, so less moisture. Which seems backwards somehow.

Wonder if you couldn't tee them into your ATO so when that goes (presumably at least once a day) all the lines get flushed out, it's be a hideous octopus mess of tubing, but might be interesting to say the least.

Wonder if you couldn't tee them into your ATO so when that goes (presumably at least once a day) all the lines get flushed out, it's be a hideous octopus mess of tubing, but might be interesting to say the least.
Hmm, interesting idea.
Since pumps are peristaltic, no need to worry about back pressure or check valves.

Definitely can't combine the Alk and CA dosing tubes though. :eek:
So it means you can really only have one that is flushed. But CA is usually fine anyway.

Hmm, interesting idea.
Since pumps are peristaltic, no need to worry about back pressure or check valves.

Definitely can't combine the Alk and CA dosing tubes though. :eek:
So it means you can really only have one that is flushed. But CA is usually fine anyway.
Well I was thinking of separating the ATO into 3 separate lines (4 way tee connection?) then put check valves on them should be fine since it's all pure water, then each of those 3 lines goes into one of the dosing tubes.

Clogs at the end if they get splashed on are not uncommon. Splash prevention, generally by elevation totally resolves this.
I’ve had a couple clogs in line so bad I had to throw the line away. Causes are: mixing up calcium and alk in one container, then trying to pump the precipitation or gel through the line, leaving the end of the line under water, and putting in too strong/poorly mixed powder in to the line so that it precipitates and forms a solid chunk in the line.
If you fully mix your chemicals, keep them in the correct container, and put the outlet in a place that stays clean you will never have any of these issues.

Back