Kessil

Dr.Tim's Waste-Away Sludge Busting Bacteria

Makes my water really clear when I use it. Look -- it's a bottle full of beneficial bacteria. Not sure what makes this bacteria more sludge-busting then the bacteria in his other products, but the idea is sound, and it comes from a very well trusted source.

Its what i use to outcompete dino and tho i still have yet to beat dino 100%.. i have to say that ive noticed how clean my rocks have become after using waste away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Its what i use to outcompete dino and tho i still have yet to beat dino 100%.. i have to say that ive noticed how clean my rocks have become after using waste away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Do you do the entire regime of Dr. Tim's for Dino's?

I wish I could get a more precise explanation of what it is intended to do biologically. I’m a big fan of Dr. Tim’s One and Only for starting a tank, and also of Dr. Tim’s scientific approach to it, so I want to believe in his other products. But the description sounds like BS. Like at some point dumbing down for the masses has gone too far and all we‘re left with is dumb.

This is a very interesting scientific evaluation of Waste Away that comes to the conclusion that it is probably a dosing additive like carbon dosing, not live bacteria in the bottle:

you can tell they hit a nerve when Dr. Tim himself joins the thread to angrily yell at the OP and claim that no one knows science but him. sigh.

I have used Waste Away. I never noticed any significant effects from it though

you can tell they hit a nerve when Dr. Tim himself joins the thread to angrily yell at the OP and claim that no one knows science but him. sigh.

I have used Waste Away. I never noticed any significant effects from it though

Yeah, that first post from Dr. Tim sounded pretty harsh and condescending, but the latter half of the thread, it appears he calms down and starts posting some useful information and details.

What in the actual F... that's some in depth analysis there.

There ya go, save your money on Waste Away and buy a bottle vodka :D

Hahaha....that's exactly why Dr. Tim was so pissed...because from that first post in the thread, people will walk away with that impression (according to him).

FYI: Doctor Tim's response is post #80.

Last edited:
Unfortunately "Doctor" (unknown if that's a self given title) Tim, sounds more like a salesrep with that reply and I believe that whole post could have been toned down quite a bit to point out where there may have been a problem with the testing procedure. But instead comes off with angry guy defending his company because someone said something bad about his product.

Unfortunately "Doctor" (unknown if that's a self given title) Tim, sounds more like a salesrep with that reply and I believe that whole post could have been toned down quite a bit to point out where there may have been a problem with the testing procedure. But instead comes off with angry guy defending his company because someone said something bad about his product.
Well we all have our personality quirks. The guy has spent several years developing his products and is probably very protective about his brand, just as others people are very protective over their life's work. "Unfortunately "Doctor" (unknown if that's a self given title) " Well, before that statement was written, it may have been prudent to do a little research. Dr. Hovanec earned his Ph.D. in Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, This fact is widely published, and if were false, UCSB would be denouncing him.

My interpretation of his writing is that he is a very passionate person that is frustrated by people that, in his opinion, have used his product incorrectly, haven't used it at all and are giving opinions, or people making statements without what he considers proper investigation.

Dr. Tim Hovanec does have an agenda, but also has built a trusted business in our market, and it is this writer's opinion that he is protecting his work, research, and investment.

Stay safe and healthy.

hey if he did in fact earn a PhD in all that then great, I just don't think that it's "common knowledge", and I've seen times when someone would slap the term "doctor" in front of their name (whether earned or not) as a way to promote their brand.

And yeah he was frustrated, but he didn't need to be so aggressive, in this writer's opinion, about it. Maybe first open with "You probably overdosed solution, and here's why that would be bad", but hey like you mention we all have our personality quirks.

hey if he did in fact earn a PhD in all that then great, I just don't think that it's "common knowledge", and I've seen times when someone would slap the term "doctor" in front of their name (whether earned or not) as a way to promote their brand.

And yeah he was frustrated, but he didn't need to be so aggressive, in this writer's opinion, about it. Maybe first open with "You probably overdosed solution, and here's why that would be bad", but hey like you mention we all have our personality quirks.

I would agree with this take.

Speaking from experience, it's amazingly frustrating when you have this much expertise in an area, and someone gainsays/argues with you on it. I have a PhD in neuroscience with a focus on psychiatric illnesses, and the number of times I've wanted to pull my hair out and scream due to armchair psychologists arguing with me is probably far lower than the number of times Dr. Tim has had to deal with/correct a novice hobbyist.

That said: responding in a condescending/dismissive way is not the right answer, particularly if your reputation is based on being a scientist in a hobby whose products aren't always rigorously tested. Especially since one of the things that Dr. Tim harped on in that thread - the dilution factor of the solution being incorrect - wouldn't have been a factor in the outcome of several of the experiments.

I get the frustration, but it wasn't the greatest response.

Regarding the thread:
The experiments seemed weak with to many variables, and proved little.
Dr. Tim could have done better with his response.

Opinion regarding waste-away.
There is so much marketing BS, it is hard to say what it is.
The bottles likely do contain spores of various beneficial bacteria.
If your tank has a bad bacteria imbalance, I can see it helping a bit.
If your tank has normal bacteria, it would be totally useless.

But I really think a key step is missing (And impossible).
It is difficult to displace one well entrenched bacteria by simply adding another.
What you really want to do is add a broad spectrum antibiotic, to kill everything.
Then add the proper mix of good bacteria and start over.
Unfortunately, that means a tank cycle, which would kill everything.

Back