Reef nutrition

Eric's Frag tank!!!

So its been pretty bumpy. The new 60 gallon frag tank only has one drain. Some how the return pump got bumped up to 100%. The m2 vectra pushes a bit more water than that single drain can handle. Tank overflowed a bit and salinity was dropped to 30ppt. A little less than two weeks later the sps losses started. Oh well...

That was almost a month ago. Last Wednesday the power went out for just under an hour. When I came back on my Apex was screwed up and one of my eb832s had blown. Must of lost one of my 3 heaters also because for two morning I woke up and head my inkbird beeping in my garage before leaving for work. Two nights in a row my tanks dropped below 70... 68° to be exact. My carx had also been down for four days.

Yesterday I spent hour pulling every single piece of equipment off my tank and reinstalled everything neatly. If my wires weren't such a rats nest it wouldn't of taken me 4 days to get that power bar swapped out and it would of saved me a lot of headaches.

Everything is up and running better than ever now.
I had that happen to me last year. Multiple times in a week with an oops/issue leading to finding the frag tank in the 60s. Feels very embarrassing / demoralizing / frustrating. Virtual hugs, and good on you for root cause fixing it quickly

Well after a couple of really crappy months I've decided to shut the garage system down. My garage is detached and way in my backyard. Having it fully automated and working so much I kind of ignore it for days at a time. Well if you let a small thing go unnoticed for a few days then you have a big thing. I've had a few big things happen back to back and I've lost a good chunk of my coral.

I just started a new tank journal. I'm downsizing to a 40 long and I'm bringing that back into the house. With BART tearing down my house within the next 1-5 years I really don't want a large tank that I will have to break down and move. That was my thinking with these frag tank. A lot easier to break down and move frag tanks than a fully mature display.

I'm going to move most of this equipment over to the new tank but I will be giving away and selling a lot of it.

Well after a couple of really crappy months I've decided to shut the garage system down. My garage is detached and way in my backyard. Having it fully automated and working so much I kind of ignore it for days at a time. Well if you let a small thing go unnoticed for a few days then you have a big thing. I've had a few big things happen back to back and I've lost a good chunk of my coral.

I just started a new tank journal. I'm downsizing to a 40 long and I'm bringing that back into the house. With BART tearing down my house within the next 1-5 years I really don't want a large tank that I will have to break down and move. That was my thinking with these frag tank. A lot easier to break down and move frag tanks than a fully mature display.

I'm going to move most of this equipment over to the new tank but I will be giving away and selling a lot of it.
Bummer

Dang that's sad to hear. Your frag system seemed to be thriving with great coloration for a while there.
I'm glad your still reefing though.

Bummer man. Sorry to hear. Glass half full, at least you’ll be able to enjoy a tank that inside the house everyday now!

:( as others said, the pics looked great previously! If it's any consolation you gave others happiness and something to strive for when it was going strong!

Back